Health Insurance

This is a pretty tired topic. But, as boring and elemental as it seems, I still have trouble finding good answers.
I live part-time in Vietnam and mostly work in Korea. I'm American. I'm wondering people's experience with different types of coverage.
I'm looking for insurance to cover any major stuff that might come up.
Pacific Cross has sent me a lot of information. Anyone use this company?
What should I watch out for with these companies?
What do people recommend?
I want a company to cover me just for major stuff.
Thanks folk!

For retired US Military, Tricare(US Military Insurance) will reimburse medical expenses worldwide including in Viet Nam, subject to some cost share and deductions.

Good Answers vs Insurance insinuations..?

..now there is an oxymoron (offering nothing..!)

Their War cry is; "Show me the Money"

..but surely you already know this..?

Still, you sound serious, so try ACS: Expatriate
Health Insurance Solutions, or Health Care International
to start your search with. 

I can only offer my prayers for you...   :gloria

I'm totally in the dark about how nefarious these companies are. I mean, I just wanna know, if I take one of these plans for major coverage, and I need sudden surgery or something, are they just gonna deny me? I've no idea what you really get for your premium. And what the best option is. Pacific cross sent me a plan that looks good on paper. They certainly give a good sell. Are the ones you mention better? If so, why? I just broke my collarbone and didn't need surgery. The cost was minimal in Vietnam. However, if I had needed surgery, I would have been in trouble. So that's the problem I want to alieve.  Thanks for answering a pretty boring and mundane question. :)

This is a subject that as expats is very important to us all so it is certainly not boring.
Myself after looking at many companies,I am still undeicided months later because it is a minefield and I think anyone involved in this subject paramount in their mind is that will the insurance company be reliable if something does go wrong
Pacific Cross has been recommendedI to me  by a knowledgeable person in Vietnam and I have also checked the insurance companies whose advertisements pop up on this site.
In a recent post on the same subject Bao Viet and Manulife were highlighted as local company's as were Axa as an international insurer.
Still being undecided I am looking more closely at Pacific Cross and Bao Viet....they both have offices in Hcmc so if  need be I can get along to their office and speak to them directly over the counter ( with the help of my wife) as opposed to dealing with someone by email or telephone on the other side of the world.
As for nearly all the companies Bao Viet offer different levels of cover for various premiums
Still undecided myself and worried about it also!

If you scroll to the bottom of the page you will find this site automatically  finds many previous posts related to health insurance

Thanks for posting. I see there are other posts to peruse. Yes. Pacific Cross has sent me many emails. They've gone the extra mile to sell me. I'm inclined to go with them at some point. But I'd still like to hear people's personal experiences with one of these companies.

All these plans seem to reject you when you get old? What do old people do?

I agree...either the insurer does not offer a policy for over 65 or its offered at an astronomical cost....really they are not interested in you as a policy holder, they are only concerned with profits...it's the same the world over!

i'm someone who grew up with the awesome NHS in the UK so private health insurance is all new to me.

What are the chances of getting cover in Vietnam if you have a pre-existing condition? I have to take a medication indefinitely. In the UK, i get a 6 month prescriptions from the NHS and the standard prescription cost £8 each time so £16 for a year. I can source the same drug but different brand from a Dr friend who I trust isn't just selling me vitamin pills for 90 USD a month or 1080 USD a year. I'm not that bothered about this, it's a cost I have factored into my budget but I figured if I can get insurance cover for any accident that could happen and it also covers pre-existing conditions that saved me a bit of money somehow that would be even better.

I have gone back thru all the previous posts that I could find and a list follows of insurance companies mentioned along with some other comments (by others making the post).I emphasise the information is only what I have seen on previous posts,I am not recommending any other them as I  have not made a rescission for insurance myself,however I am  looking at them all.

Insuranceasia.com
Blue Cross
A plus International
Liberty Insurance Vietnam
Bao Viet
Manulife
William Russell
HSBC Vietnam
Aetna
Prudential
Vinamec

Tenzing Insurance services is a broker,as per their site they offer insurance up the age of 74 and also for pre existing conditions.
You can go along to the hospital of your choice and ask them which insurance companies they deal with.
Apparently Bao Viet is government owned
At time of the post relating to this doctor there is an American who has a Facebook page...Sick in Saigon...as per the post the information there is quite informative
I hope this helps.

Gareth Uk wrote:

I have gone back thru all the previous posts that I could find and a list follows of insurance companies mentioned along with some other comments (by others making the post).I emphasise the information is only what I have seen on previous posts,I am not recommending any other them as I  have not made a rescission for insurance myself,however I am  looking at them all.

Insuranceasia.com
Blue Cross
A plus International
Liberty Insurance Vietnam
Bao Viet
Manulife
William Russell
HSBC Vietnam
Aetna
Prudential
Vinamec

Tenzing Insurance services is a broker,as per their site they offer insurance up the age of 74 and also for pre existing conditions.
You can go along to the hospital of your choice and ask them which insurance companies they deal with.
Apparently Bao Viet is government owned
At time of the post relating to this doctor there is an American who has a Facebook page...Sick in Saigon...as per the post the information there is quite informative
I hope this helps.

I'm going to come back to this post. Thanks so much. This is valuable.

One problem, as far as I'm concerned is that the criminal thieving scum immigration police give out DN visas instead of LD visas so they can steal a few hundred more dollars.

Your motorbike licence is tied to your visa: when your licence becomes invalid, presumably your insurance does too. Obviously, motorbike accidents are the primary concern here.

Just another way the foul, greedy scum at immigration screw us. Hardly worth applying for insurance once you've done the visa, licence, rigamarole as you will have to do it again a few months later.

Agree with Thaiger,s description of the cops,in fact your words from what I am begining to understand is an understatement.Also by far,on all the expats minds is Insurance for a motorbike accident.
However,for us ancient critters general health insurance is also high on priority,I,m 61,not getting any younger either and I guess Vanross who started this thread is about the somewhere about same age from his wording..I have the same thoughts as him ...get yourself covered...for anything....when you have done all you can you cannot do no more.....and you have to leave it in the hands of the gods.......again I am aware of a previous post that if you use either a local or international insurance company will they pay out if it comes to the worst...accident or ill health and that on one no one will know unless you have been thru it....back to Vanross who asks has anyone had previous experience with any insurance company or do they all fall into the same category as the cops..theving scum!
Insurance for a bike accident.....if you have a current passport with a current visa...you are ok.....when it comes to renewing the visa will the owner be covered?I guess if you renew the visa and it is current if you have an accident at a later date will the insurance company have the brains to request a look at your passport to view the visa....it's a question I will be asking before I take out my insurance.
Going out for a walk now...hope I don,t get run over by a bus!

My girlfriend simply explained that NO vietscammese ever buy health indurance because the doctors/ nurses dont get bribes if they r supposed to be paid by the insurance company at a later date.

So, IF, and, as anywhere, its a big IF; the slimy insurers pay out and u do have up-to date visa/licence/insurance etc then the hospital will just leave you to die in the corridor as they want bribes to care for patients now: not an insurance company potentially paying out later.

Akh. The whole thing is really confusing. It never occurred to me that they would ask to see lisences and visas. I've had a lot of contact with Pacific Cross and they've sent me a quote. I was just interested in catastrophic coverage: surgeries, etc. actually, I took a tumble off a scooter two weeks ago. BTW, I spend most of my  time in a more expensive Asian country but my wife, and maybe future, is here in VN. Anyway. I broke my collar bone just 2 weeks back. Now, I'm fine out of pocket. The government hospital did an awful job. But Vinmec hospital is like heaven and not too expensive for me. But it never occurred to me: if I had needed surgery, would they have denied me because of not having a license? Anyway, I'm still mulling this. Should I get covered?
ACS (AHIA) (expatriates) claims to offer a lifetime plan. I don't know.  It's more expensive but is it real? Their brochure looks impressive for what that's worth (ok, nothing). But they have An S&P rating? Is that meaningful? Lifetime coverage...I've asked them to explain it. Their lifetime catastrophic coverage is about 100$ a month. Just thinking: what's lifetime coverage worth if they could raises the rate anytime? What guarantee that this rate will stay the same?

To Van
I am seeking the same insurance as yourself,emergency,major operation or sickness and not interested in dental or outpatient which if needed I intend to fund myself.
I have been looking at Bao Viet.If you enter their site medical insurance of any kind diverts you to HSBC.The cost of the policy is acceptable to me but what's the point in taking a policy if it does not cover you for a motorcycle accident which is high on the agenda for any expat.It does however,depending on the level of premium,cover you for any sickness or other accident that occurs....or at least that,s what it says
Regarding the visa situation if your current visa is valid when the policy is taken out,afterwards the visa expires,you renew the visa...is the policy valid then?.In the Uk the policy would be valid but here my guess,and as pointed out by Bazza and Thaiger,is that it would probably be not valid!
Surely there are expats out there who have had dealings or claims with insurance companies here in Vietnam and to that end I will open another thread asking not for insurance company names but for expats experiences with their individual insurance company.

Gareth Uk wrote:

To Van
I am seeking the same insurance as yourself,emergency,major operation or sickness and not interested in dental or outpatient which if needed I intend to fund myself.
I have been looking at Bao Viet.If you enter their site medical insurance of any kind diverts you to HSBC.The cost of the policy is acceptable to me but what's the point in taking a policy if it does not cover you for a motorcycle accident which is high on the agenda for any expat.It does however,depending on the level of premium,cover you for any sickness or other accident that occurs....or at least that,s what it says
Regarding the visa situation if your current visa is valid when the policy is taken out,afterwards the visa expires,you renew the visa...is the policy valid then?.In the Uk the policy would be valid but here my guess,and as pointed out by Bazza and Thaiger,is that it would probably be not valid!
Surely there are expats out there who have had dealings or claims with insurance companies here in Vietnam and to that end I will open another thread asking not for insurance company names but for expats experiences with their individual insurance company.

excellen! This is the thing exactly! We need personal experiences with people and their insurers! I'll look for It!

Thaiger wrote:

My girlfriend simply explained that NO vietscammese ever buy health indurance because the doctors/ nurses dont get bribes if they r supposed to be paid by the insurance company at a later date.

So, IF, and, as anywhere, its a big IF; the slimy insurers pay out and u do have up-to date visa/licence/insurance etc then the hospital will just leave you to die in the corridor as they want bribes to care for patients now: not an insurance company potentially paying out later.

City International Hospital has a list of health insurers that they accept and also offer their own insurance card. Also at CIH, you don't give tea money to people who work there. You also might check insurance from your own home country. The downside for foreign insurance is that in most cases you will need to pay in advance to the hospital and then file the claim yourself for reimbursement. My wife's medical bill has gone well over $100,000.00 USD. The paperwork is a real pain and it takes 3 to 6 months to get reimbursed. I expect that civilian plans are more or less the same. My insurance is retired Military.

Phap Viet or the French/Vietnamese hospital also worked that way the last time that we went there, many years ago.