Internet, Skype, cloud services for work

Thinking about moving to Amman for my wife to take up a UN role.  I can continue my current role working remotely from whatever apartment we get - but only if the tech supports.

Skype voice/video chat and other VOIP services, cloud services like Box or Dropbox, good internet connection with enough bandwidth to down/upload efficiently are all essential for my work.

What can I expect in Amman?

From what I've read the internet is still quite far behind UK or US speeds/bandwidths and there are issues withSkype and some types of sites being blocked?   if initial speeds are already low, adding a VPN will makes things unbearable.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Welcome on board  :cheers:

I don't know from whom you get the information but all works fine.
I have a landline to get my wifi at home and when I am outside I don't use mobile connection. But that's my personal choice.
Depending on where you going to stay, you can choose the provider which works best.
The only minor problem is that there is a slice chance of a fall down of electricity which can occur.

Thanks for your reply!  That's a relief.  Yes, maybe the info I found was either old or connected to a VPN site - so guess they will say sites are blocked so you buy their product.

Thanks again - i'm sure i'll be back on this forum soon as we make plans to move!

I have no problems with Skype or dropbox.  I don't have problems when I have to use a VPN either for a few sites.  Your Internet most likely will be through one of the cell companies through a sim card put into a wifi router.  It's not quite as fast as Internet in the US, but it's not horrible.  I stream a ton of netflix with no problems and Skype with family everyday.   I have read though that the phone companies keep wanting to charge for people using VOIP services.

Thanks for that Kip - good to know Skype and bandwidth are both no problem, even with a VPN.  If it's good enough for streaming it'll be good enough for work.
Just out of interest, how often and how long are the power outs?

In two years I've only had the power out maybe 2 or 3 times when they had construction next door or when they were hooking up a new light post out front.  Utilities are fairly reliable.  Only thing I had to be mindful of is using up my water tank before the weekly refill.  I use Nord VPN.  You have tp pay for it but it works well.  I don't normally use VPN when streaming unless I want something that's strictly only available to the US.  Sometimes I have to use a VPN to order things I am sending to people in the US.  You will find some sites (Target, TJ Maxx) block IP addresses from here.  Also updating my Antivirus sometimes requires my VPN for some reason.  Unless you have to send huge data files, I don't think you'll have much of a problem.  If you have to mail hardcopies of any documents shipping is quite expensive.  If you think you will want a new laptop or anything like that soon, buy it before you come as electronics are way more expensive here.