Canadian criminal record from the Embassy?

Hello !

I would like to know if anyone here managed to get his criminal record (in order to process for the residency visa) directly from the Canadian embassy in Quito? (Or any other Canadian embassy)
Somehow on the Governement site they say more or less that "in principle" it's difficult to do it, however they still can do it. I am French and I don't live anymore in Canada, so it would be a hassle to have to go back to the country only for this...
Please share your experience if any !
Many thanks...

If the government site says it's difficult, then do it an easier way.

Such as going to Canada's national police agency.  Or a company that does channeling for the agency.

cccmedia

Do you mean to get a copy of your "criminal record", meaning that you DO have a criminal record?  Or do you mean to get a "Criminal Record Check"?    I suggest you call the city police where you are from in Canada, or if you lived in a rural area, your (previously) local detachment of the RCMP, explain your situation, and ask for their help.  You can probably accomplish it electronically, or at least with snail mail if they absolutely require original signatures.

Thank you for your answers.
The criminal record can be empty, blank, this is basically what the migration office wants to check before they give you residency.
In Canada they do it on the base of fingerprints. Therefore it is either from within the country (Canada) or from the Embassy, which I'm not sure about, this is why I'm seeking advice from a Canadian who had made such experience.
What is RCMP ?
Cccmedia, I have no precise idea of what you're talking about. In any case the local Ecuadorian police has nothing to do with that.

RCMP = Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the national and federal police force of Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Can … ted_Police

The RCMP is the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

I am in the process of applying for Residency and have had to get my police check from them. That involved going to an accredited Company to complete the application / fingerprinting. It is no good going to any police agency apart from the RCMP. My application took about three weeks and it is only valid for six months.

Rasruben wrote:

What is RCMP ?

Cccmedia, I have no precise idea of what you're talking about. In any case the local Ecuadorian police has nothing to do with that.

When I used the phrase “national police agency,” I was referring to what Brother Archer reminds us is the RCMP.

I have edited in a mention of Canada to that sentence in my earlier post, for clarity.

cccmedia

I am Canadian.  I have had to get CRC's at various times for different jobs.  Only certain types of CRC's (Criminal Records Checks) require fingerprints, not all.  It depends upon the type of CRC you need.  Again, I strongly recommend that you call the RCMP and discuss the different levels of checks available against the minimum level you are required to get.  There may or may not be a charge for it, aside from courier fees.  The information may be on the website.

I was still liiving in Canada when I got my federal and provincial criminal background checks.  As someone said correctly, the RCMP does not deal with you, you go to an agency accredited by the RCMP, which you can find on the RCMP website, there are many, you get fingerprinted and the agency sends that to the RCMP and you receive in the mail your paper.   However, if you are outside Canada you might have problems there, you need fingerprints.  Secondly, you need the provincial background check also.  For that I went to the OPP Ontario Provincial Police, who said that they no longer take care of that, they referred me to the Ottawa Police Force, whom I paid for a background check -again, I was there in person for signatures, etc. and I received in a few minutes the proper paper from them.  How to get a provincial background check from Ecuador, I cannot help you, sadly.  Good luck.
HelenP.

I forgot to add that these documents timed out and I had to do the whole process again.  They are only valid for 6 months.
HelenP.

HelenPivoine wrote:

I was still liiving in Canada when I got my federal and provincial criminal background checks.  As someone said correctly, the RCMP does not deal with you, you go to an agency accredited by the RCMP, which you can find on the RCMP website, there are many, you get fingerprinted and the agency sends that to the RCMP and you receive in the mail your paper.   However, if you are outside Canada you might have problems there, you need fingerprints.  Secondly, you need the provincial background check also.  For that I went to the OPP Ontario Provincial Police, who said that they no longer take care of that, they referred me to the Ottawa Police Force, whom I paid for a background check -again, I was there in person for signatures, etc. and I received in a few minutes the proper paper from them.  How to get a provincial background check from Ecuador, I cannot help you, sadly.  Good luck.
HelenP.

I applied for my background check in Quebec, and I had to apply directly to the RCMP, with no involvement in my Provincial force !!

Hello to all and thanks for your replies.
I finally found out with my lawyer here in ECUADOR that some private agencies do that here. They can actually arrange everything from afar. You need to pay for the service of course, but it's way better than buying an air ticket to Canada... I haven't done the process yet but my lawyer said many of her customers, including Canadian citizens, have done it like this.
I hope this helps others !