Schools/ Ways to Study & Attain a Student Visa Longer than 3 -6 Months

Hallo!

My boyfriend (who lives in Munich) and I (who live in NYC) are planning my move to Munich in September and I am exploring all possibilities of the right type of visa to get/where to study/what to study/to study at all and try and find internship/job while learning the language?

I don't speak the language and the point of the move would be for me to spend a year learning the language and then potentially getting an internship/entry level job post that year.

My biggest problem is knowing what visa to apply for or what school to study with if at all. I've researched multiple placement programs but I think that's probably not the best way to start. I've already achieved my Bachelors and am not opposed to going back to school but really just want to study the language for a while at a University.

I don't know if getting the tourist visa first and THEN finding the school to study at would be the best idea or not. Given that if something were to go wrong I could potentially be in a tough spot. 

If anyone could offer any help or advice on what you think is the better idea or share your story on the topic that would be great! I've asked multiple friends what they have done for different countries (but none have moved to Germany) Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

-Michael

For concrete advise just make an appointment at  your nearest German embassy - germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/04__Legal/02__Directory__Services/01__Visa/__Visa.html.

For what it's worth I don't see much point in getting a tourist visa as it will only entitle you to stay for a few months so it's not useful if you want to study. I also think that you need a letter of acceptance from a German University before you can apply for a student visa in the first place.