Billed $15,481 for Nine Days Hospital Stay, What Are My Options?

Hi, my name is Marvin and I am new to the Expat.com Costa Rica forum. I hope to gain from the experience of the members of this forum. In full disclosure, I am also posting this same message on 2 other forums to get good actionable advice as my negotiation time with the hospital is limited.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience to the following: on Saturday, Jan 28th, I had to be taken to the local hospital in San Vito (southern Costa Rica) by Roja Cruz and spent 9 days there getting the swelling in my leg down (edema) by way of inflammation injections and saline solutions. Around day 5 or 6, I noticed that my total costs were averaging over USD $1500 each day and tried to get released then as I didn't have insurance, but the doctors advised against it until they finally agreed on the 9th day. Right now, I'm contesting and trying to negotiate downward the USD $15,481 I was ultimately billed, but have little experience as to what they will accept to settle things. Previously, I've had 2 other good experiences with low-cost care going to other public hospitals.

Please, no focus on my not having insurance or getting CAJA as this is the works. Any idea what happened here, and what the lowest amount this hospital would settle for? Thanks, Marvin

I remember reading that hospitalization while a 'tourist',  a non-member of CAJA, being admitted into a public hospital,  is either billed or must deposit $1000, prior to hospitalization,  plus services rendered, of course. 

If you had gone or transferred to a private facility, you would have be 'detained' until your bill was paid in full...and you would be required to have paid a significant amount 'in advance' before being admitted.

Awful expensive. A private doctor would've been cheaper.

Marvin,

Hire a lawyer.  You were charged "Gringo pricing."

Friend of mine was in "intensive care" in the San Ramon hospital for a few days, emergency transfer by ambulance with a physician on board to CIMA.  Next day he was transferred by ambulance with a physician on board to Hospital Biblica.  I believe he was in intensive care at Hospital Biblica for 4 days and his "total" bill was not that much.  Keep in mind, this was at Biblica, "in intensive care" - much, much more expensive than the public hospitals.

- Expat Dave

Since my last post on this subject earlier this month I experienced my own emergency trip to a medical clinic.  Felt it might be relevant here.

I am a healthy person, not overweight, eat my fruits and veggies daily, drink lots of water, exercise, etc.  Felt fine five days ago and then literally within a minute I honestly believed I was dying.  ...long story short, rushed to a medical clinic in San Ramon.  Doctor is the head of the E.R. at the local hospital - I have a kidney stone.  I had heard they were painful, but they are REALLY painful.  (Conclusion has been I was drinking way too much black iced tea - at least 1/2 gallon a day.)

Anyway, I was at the clinic, in a private room, from 11:00 am until 6:30 pm.  The doctor spent at least 2.5+ hours with me, had a nurse present the whole time, I received an ultrasound, complete blood workup, BP monitored all day, pain medications and antibiotics all day via IV - constant attention. I had a follow up visit with the doctor yesterday that lasted another 1.5 hours.  Very thorough in his explaination of where I am and what to do next.  Total cost $400.

I could have used my CAJA insurance and the treatment would have been free.  I prefer more attention when I "think" I'm dying.   :D   I now see why Costa Rica medical care is ranked higher than the U.S.  (According to W.H.O.)

- Expat Dave

Pay with a credit/debit card then reverse the charges.After reversal, contact the hospital and negotiate a new deal. Sucks but you will have  more bargaining power this way.

1 more thing.If you owe a bill/driving ticket/taxes or have not made certain payments you could be denied an exit from CR

As to gringo pricing... This is a story I was recently told about a gringo taking his Tica wife to a hospital.
Went to a private hospital to have an operation done. She was given a price (SHE was given a price, before they knew she was married to a gringo .)

Later the gringo husband arrived and asked how she was. The person he spoke to made a note on the paper he had in his hand and later the gringo saw this note and he had marked out the lower prices and put in much higher prices.

He plans to have a meeting with the Director of the hospital about this.

One ugly thing about retiring in Costa Rica is that many businesses - apparently even hospitals! - will charge you a gringo price. One thing though is if you bust them on it, they will often give you the "discount price" - meaning the price you should have been charged in the first place.

This happened to me the other day in the hardware store. It happens often and the best thing is to not get mad (though in your case I can see that would be difficult!) and just politely say "I live here, I'm not a tourist; I am not rich and I need the discounted price if you can give it to me." Often that's all it takes.

As to local stores and vendors if someone gives me a gringo price - guess what - they just lost a customer permanently.

Oh, and in your case I think I would try talking them down - WAY down - and tell them that if they don't cooperate you are getting an attorney. Then make sure your attorney doesn't give you a gringo price! LOL.

every country i have ever lived 4. there is always a gringo price.For everything