Following fashion in Madagascar

Hi everyone,

Do you follow fashion trends in Madagascar? Every country and every culture has its own dress code. As far as you are concerned, have you changed the way you dress?

Can one easily find fashion boutiques in Madagascar? Are clothes expensive there? Or cheap?

What do Malagasies usually wear or like to wear the most?

Share your experience!

Priscilla

For me, and I think like most men that we are buyers and not shoppers where women are shoppers and then go onto  buy something, maybe. I know what I want, pants for example and I go to a store and pick out five, try them on and walk out with three pair of pants -one hour tops- I am finished for another year.

Women will spend all day looong, going from store to store trying on this and that and will choose something they think is just right and what goes with what shoes or purse...etc.  I rarely tag along for such an "happy event" and if I do, my job really is to just nod yes if she likes it and try not to get trapped into trick questions like- does this make me look fat. Other than that my job will be to carry the packages for my wife and two almost teen daughters.
Women seem to know the new models from t v programs, and all love shoes- never can have enough shoes and purses.
Malagasy men on the other hand pick out their favorite color which seems to be plaid  in the way dress shirts or flat white but not much of the way of anything bright. Usually dull blues and browns.

Since 80% of the population is poor they seem to be only be able to buy second hand clothes that are sold on the street that were mostly likely bought in bulk and by the kilo from other countries or NGO's.   I know owners of major clothing stores who also frequent these roadside ( in the dirt or on a cloth) second hand clothes markets and then sell these same second hand clothes in their store for ten times the amount and call them new models.
Even buying wholesale from Chinese wholesale merchants, taking away or changing labels and then marking up to such high prices that the very rich of Madagascar ,the 5% about, will pay such a high price that they think the more they pay the better the clothes or shoes or purse and putting a Euro price on it just makes it all the more enticing. 
I have seen a couple of stores where they sell clothes or say the clothes are from France, and they very well may be, but why are they so wrinkled, and the clothes or shoes smell old and dull. 
In general the clothes I see here in all fashion sense look much the my grand parents wore or my parents wore when they were in their 30's.   By the way the models for furniture is the same-  dated back to the 1950's, 60's and 70's. though you might call it quaint by saying "its retro in design" .
I bring shoes from the USA that will last my wife for 3 to 4 years with out repair, , good quality medium heels and stylish. Yet the shoe merchants are busy all around town with a huge mound of shoes, bought here in Madagascar, that they are fixing after only a few months ( even weeks or a day) of wear in a tropical wet climate.
Dressing sharp and snappy is like being a target for pick pockets.  So most people are practical in their dress. I do notice that Vasaha women do not dress up at all, it is as if they don't care about their appearance and the Malagasy women if given a chance or seen in a high upper scale area such as a College French will dress very well and stylish.
But really what do I know about fashion, I like blue jeans , or mostly shorts and nice shirts and flip flops. I also wear cargo pants sometimes which is like saying I am not into fashion.

Important for men: You may have problems to find shoes in size 43 or more...

Also important: In Madagascar - as well as in all African countries and also in Latin America - you do not dress up for yourself, but for the others. Never go to the administration in jeans or even shorts and a T shirt! It is totally disrespectful.

What I found always astonishing: Knowing certain people lived in a shack without electricity, I was very impressed to see them wear totally clean and well-ironed dresses, It even seems the poorer you are, the more important it is to make a clean and correct impression so that people do not instantly think you are poor.