Following fashion in Greece

Hi everyone,

Do you follow fashion trends in Greece? Every country and every culture has its own dress code. As far as you are concerned, have you changed the way you dress?

Can one easily find fashion boutiques in Greece? Are clothes expensive there? Or cheap?

What do Greeks usually wear or like to wear the most?

Share your experience!

Priscilla

Well here in Greece money is in extremely short supply so even if we wanted to follow fashion it would be impossible.Everyone has pulled back because there are so many bills to pay,taxes beyond our ability and severe penalties are in place should they not be paid on time.Forty six percent of my husbands wages are taken at source and then they have demanded three extra doses from him to pay himself at the tax office.And now if you dont spend x amount of your wages using your plastic card then they say,that lot,that we are to be fined for our sins because they cannot keep a check themselves to ensure all business people pay their tax.So thoughts of fashion go mostly out of the window.Of course the wealthy go down to Kolonaki and buy lovely clothes,Greece certainly has a wonderful market for fashion but that is only for a few now.I sometimes put my unwanted clothes by the bins and they are taken immediately and shoes.I dont think the outside world has realised what is going on here...poverty.

Hello 2 all here from Thessaloniki!  :/  5 years here killed my fashion orientation: my best things  still collect the dust turning 2 vintage.
     Well, lets  start from colour.
Main and favourite colour in Greece is black - there is nothing perfect as black, is a law of greek dress code (no matter is +43 or -10 C). Men is somehow more free in colour field. But overjumped Balzac's age woman is woman in black. For girls is specific greek shade of pink (i could eat my school bag if somebody in my childhood forced me 2 wear it  :dumbom: .  And what about fashion?
Oyeeah...If  violet (or orange or whatever)  is in fashion - be ready 2 have colour attack - in EVERY shop-window will be this ... colour, even ...orthopedic shoes in farmacy)).
     What 2 wear.
There is no deal between dress or trousers - trousers 97%.
Greek women have a style and can make cheap thing 2 look chic, but madly addicted 2 famous fashion marks - up must be written Armani, D&G and so on. Especially if we talk about gift, name checked the first, quality is after.
Men in official situations, celebrations, night out with relatives - classic (expencive) costume with white (mostly) shirt. Everyday style - free. But also better polo with alligator on the half of breast (i let my husband to wear something like that only when he go alone.  :cool:
Young men more into the fashion, than girls.
     In shops u can find many, but  for local buyers - they take what is more easy to sell). Some prices is for a stronghearted ppl.  :gloria
     Tailoring, handmade, knitting... difficult.
Shops with textile (for me) sad, sellers don't know difference between satin and crep-satin, and so on.
Finally i gave up, and now bring it from Italy or my home. Handmade and knitting? "You are not SO poor to make it by own hands as my grandmom"...

Ok, folks, Here is sunny Greece with so many other attractions, except fashion, and i can tell, that greeks are in style with life!  :heart:

If you go down the Monasteraki street where all the tourists go you will find some interesting clothes shops and also a very nice shoe shop where they sell Greek shoes,my husband bought great blunt ended cowboy boots,80 euro,had them five years,on and off in the winter and still doesnt need to re heel them,they have the Brazilian flip flops,made from silicone which dont rub between your toes and my favourite shop down there is The Hippy Shop,great loose cool style trousers with wonderful prints on them for summer from India and Afganistan etc..only wash briefly in cold water.A shop opposite also has similar things,bit cheaper but not such lovely unusual prints.Shops under and around the Acropolis and Plaka have some nice unusual bits too.The shoe shop is down a turning in that street on the right,have a mooch and you will see it,have fun.I saw in the bit where they sell antiques,furniture etc..down that street some old like Victorian bloomers with the lace which could be turned into lovely summer shorts but I suppose Greeks may stare as they are generally very stereo-type and BORING.