Following fashion in Dominican Republic

Hi everyone,

Do you follow fashion trends in Dominican Republic? Every country and every culture has its own dress code. As far as you are concerned, have you changed the way you dress?

Can one easily find fashion boutiques in Dominican Republic? Are clothes expensive there? Or cheap?

What do Dominicans usually wear or like to wear the most?

Share your experience!

Priscilla

I follow my own fashion I'm from Scotland and when I go home for a vacation I always bring clothes with me for myself and husband. I feel the clothes are cheaply made in Dominican and very expensive. There is a store called primark in Scotland and I can get clothing cheap and the quality is ok but a pair of say shorts are like maybe 309 pesos I can get a similar pair in Scotland for half of that. People comment on my clothing when I'm in puerto plata. And also I feel the clothing clings too much.

Oh my, well I  did write a long answer to this a few days ago and it disappeared.

Fashion -  here its all about tighter, brighter and more bling.  I have no idea how some women can wear their pants so unbelievably tight!  Can they breath?  Everything is lower cut,shorter, and more skin showing then could be considered fashionable.

They do lag behind both USA and European fashion but they try.   

Clothes are mostly imported and  cheaply made as most dont' have enough income to buy quality!   

AND you must notice they are always turned out -  you do not see people going out dirty or unkept.  You will not see  slobs in Walmart style here! Oh heck no.  Going to  La Sirena is a reason to DRESS!!!!!   You gotta respect that! 

Men - well men get dressed, what can you say. They are also always clean  but hey there is NOTHING fashionable about your pants hanging off your ass!  LOL

I have no problems with skin tight clothing, so long as it's not on me. It doesn't seem to matter how much filling is inserted into these pants/tights. They wear them with pride.

They sure do.  I really admire that frankly. No body image issues here!!! Its awesome!!!

Actually the reason the pants are so tight (a good number are so tight that the remain unbuttoned at the top) is that for her 15th birthday all the girls go shopping for clothes and then not mater how old they  are they think they wear the same size as when they  were 15 :D

Bob K

Hahahahaha that was good Bob.

As a New Yorker, it was difficult for me to follow the fashion in the DR. Dominican men generally wear jeans or casual pants, and rarely shorts. Being from the North, I'm able to wear jeans during the winter months in the DR and at night, but find it very difficult at other times of the year. I notice men tend to like wearing their shirts and pants a bit too tight.  If I did the same here, my friends would laugh and tell me to go home and remove my baby cloths. But I understand for Latino men it's a little machista and macho. The younger boys are not wearing those tight straight leg pants with the saggy bottoms. I don't see it much here, but it's big in the DR. I'm too old for that style.  The classic look for the older is more comfortable. A cabana shirt, linen pants, loafers and straw hats is cool

I saw that straight leg look on men - not always a good choice.

Kinda like men in tight shirts - depending on the body lol.

Cannot stand the sloppy look at all.

Love a man in classic elegant clothes - of any age!!!!

You have good taste