Speedboat service from Saigon to Vung Tau

Hello,

is the speedboat service between Saigon and Vung Tau operating these days?

I had heard about this service being discontinued for a while, what is the situation today?

Thank you in advance for any contribution.

Yes, they are.  There are 2 operators and the fares are 200k.  Although there might be tickets available for walk-in, it is always a good idea to book in advance.

Where do you book the tickets in Saigon i.e where is the ferry terminal?

You can google it for more detailed info.  I believe you can book online also.  Keep in mind that the last trip back to saigon is about 330 or 4pm.

It is in D4 left of khanh hoi bridge coming from D1.  Next to Elisa ship.

I had heard however that the Vung Tau terminal (drop-off / departure point) is now at another nearby terminal, near the White House (museum). It's still just a short distance away from town anyway. Is that right ?

It's being a while since I go to Vung Tau. Can anyone share if going there by bus (heard that it's pretty fast) or by speed boat is faster. How many hours via each of these mode of transport ?

I read an article on an online Vietnamese paper recently that was about travelling from HCMC to Vung Tau. Yes, there is boat service at a terminal that's pretty close to the old one. A new highway to Vung Tao has made the bus service much quicker. The article stated that the bus now takes the same time as the boat. IIRC, the time was about 90 minutes.

Hi I am at a hotel near sgn airport and am planning to go to vung tau. Can you please direct me as to how to reach nearest speedboat station from the airport.

Hi I am at a hotel near sgn airport and am planning to go to vung tau. Can you please direct me as to how to reach nearest speedboat station from the airport.

Axios wrote:

It's being a while since I go to Vung Tau. Can anyone share if going there by bus (heard that it's pretty fast) or by speed boat is faster. How many hours via each of these mode of transport ?

Shuttle is the fastest, everything else takes more or less the same amount of time, appx. 2 hrs.  The difference:

- The 7 seater shuttle has 120-degree recliner chairs with a lot of elbow and leg room even for large Westerners, many chairs are with built-in massage.  As there are only 7 or 8 passengers on the shuttle, it's spacious and comfortable. 

- The boat has almost 100 straight back chairs in either 2 or 3 sections, not uncomfortable but not a lot of elbow room.  Luggage area on the boat is much larger than on the shuttle.

- Tickets for the shuttle is 160K, tickets for the boat is 250K (discount for seniors).

- There is a W.C on the boat, there isn't one on the shuttle (there are several at the 15 minute rest stop).

- Shuttle drops you at the address of your choice.  After boat disembarks at Cáp Treo station, you have to take taxi or xe om to your hotel.

My choice:  7 seater at all times.  I've taken the 7-seater shuttle at least 30 times, but only once on the boat.  My spouse liked the boat, I disliked it tremendously. 

My reasons:  too many passengers, too many children, too many people who needed to use the barf bags (within confined area with circulated air!), higher price tickets (even with our senior discount), extra expense on taxi fare to our apartment.

I've only been to VT once and we booked a car/driver for the day. Picked the 3 of us up early, drove us to VT and around VT. Waited while we did the attractions and drove us back in the afternoon/early eve. Yes, I had to buy his drinks and food but that wasn't an issue. Can't remember the exact price but it was between 1.2-1.4 mil VND for about 9 hours. I thought it was a great bargain cuz we were driven everywhere by the same person and not have to hop from taxi to taxi. Wouldn't go this route if we were staying overnight or a few days in VT.

A new company has been operating the boat for the past couple years:

https://greenlines-dp.com/en/

It's a new modern boat that is wider and more roomy than the hydrofoils of the past. You can get up and walk around and hang out on the fantail.

The main problem with the boat is that they only run every couple hours with maybe five trips per day. Also, they don't run if the weather is especially bad.

Personally, I don't like the vans as even the "limo" ones feel cramped and the drivers generally aren't very good. The do have the advantage of leaving all the time.

Actually, I like the Phuong Trang (Futa) bus
https://futabus.vn/en-US
as you can sit in the back and have a lot of space. They leave from Đe Tham Street and also drop you off at your destination in Vũng Tàu.
They run every hour on the hour, so sometimes waiting is required.

Additionally, there are "limo" vans that run DIRECTLY from the airport to Vũng Tàu.

johnross23 wrote:

Additionally, there are "limo" vans that run DIRECTLY from the airport to Vũng Tàu.

Those are the 7-seater shuttles I was talking about.  Inexpensive and very comfortable.  Push the chair back to 120 degree, stretch your legs, put on music, take a nap, or surf the Net on free Wifi, and almost 2 hours later, alight right in front of your destination in Vung Tau. 

OTOH, there are more advantages in riding the speed boat:  you'll become fast friend with 100 other people, you may be exposed to the fragrance of some young children's barf bag (Vietnamese are prone to seasickness and more so with the children), your ticket is 90K more, and you'll pay another 30K - 50K taxi fare to your destination once you get off the boat. 

If it floats your boat (pun intended) ...  (Not you specifically, John.)

Oh, you mean the Phát Lộc An limo vans? The look very nice but I've never used them. So, I thought you were referring to Hoa Mai and Toan Thang. I'd have to agree though that if you want to get directly from the airport to Vung Tau without spending time in HCMC, that's the best option.

I got confused because I always spend a night or two in the big city before flying out and upon arrival before returning to VT.

Anyway, here's their Vietnamese only website:
http://www.phatlocan.vn/2016/10/xe-vip- … g-tau.html

They list an English Support number: +84 996 788 100

Of course, if you're at the airport, you can just seek them out there.

There are almost a dozen companies servicing the same route; everyone has his/her own preference.  I rode with anyone whose cars are 2 years or newer and whose seats #3 and #4 are available at that particular time: Thành Vinh, Huy Hoàng, Toàn Thắng, Phương Nam, Phú Hải, Anh Quốc, Phát Lộc An, etc.

[Post under review]

Looking to take the boat, a different experience ,  I love the water and look forward to the boat trip. Perhaps a van on the way back to hcmc

Canman62 wrote:

Looking to take the boat, a different experience ,  I love the water and look forward to the boat trip. Perhaps a van on the way back to hcmc

Currently there is only high-speed catamaran service that leaves from this point in HCMC:

Google Maps link

No true hydrofoils anymore.

You buy your ticket there near the street, then board the boat there at the dock.

FOREIGNERS MUST HAVE A PASSPORT!

You can get more info at the website for Greenlines DP

Seniors over 62 get a 50,000 Vietnam Dong discount.

Children under 6 ride free with an adult.

Depending on the time you depart, your trip to Vung Tau can take 2 to 2 1/2 hours, as some runs stop at Can Gio.

Return trip upriver takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours, again, depending on if you stop at Can Gio.

THE CROSSING FROM CAN GIO TO VUNG TAU (across the mouth of the river where it meets the ocean)  CAN GET REALLY TURBULENT.

In Vung Tau, you buy your tickets here:

Google Maps link

Then you walk a short distance to this point on the dock:

Google Maps link

As long as you can carry all of your luggage without help in one trip, you can likely bring it all on board (No Porters or carts).

Seating is tight so you take extra luggage to the front of the cabin.

Even though you will be assigned a seat, you can usually sit in any empty seat.

There is a table and booth style seating in the front that seats about 8 people, first come first served (unless someone has reserved it).

There is a small observation deck at the rear of the boat.

After the boat has been sailing for 10 or 15 minutes you will be allowed to go to the back deck if you want.

Two western style toilet bathrooms on board.

You get a small paper cup of water or tea and some type of crackers free,

Canned beer and some soft drinks for sale.

IMPORTANT:

Always call ahead to see if your boat is running at that time/that day.

Foul weather and river debris from rains upriver can cause individual runs to be cancelled.

Taxi Drivers in Vung Tau will attempt to quote you a flat rate that is double the usual meter rate to your destination.

It helps if you have a taxi waiting for you (ask someone you know in Vung Tau to recommend someone).

Linku wrote:

That's great news about fastest Bus service to Vung tau, or speed boats, how much they cost VND and time Travell, Can you tell me please more details about this beach.

Please visit the ferry company website for more pricing info:

Greenlines DP ferry service

Thanks for all the info ocean!

Linku wrote:

That's great news about fastest Bus service to Vung tau, or speed boats, how much they cost VND and time Travell, Can you tell me please more details about this beach.

What specific details would you like to know about?