Is it true ? too much robberies ?

posted by cathy Dupree 2 months ago

I live in Ajijic which is beautiful but want to give another slant on living in Mexico.
I am leaving after 5 years because my partner died and the mess that was left with no will was magnified by the corrupt police and dishonest lawyers, helpers etc. that populate this land. In front of my eyes my partner's possessions just vanished. I have never seen so many scams, scam artists etc that are waiting to jump on the retirees. I live in a beautiful house but feel as though with the security system and bars, bars, bars that I am living a life of a bird locked in a gilted cage. The robberies are out of sight and I am not talking about just gringos. My door knobs were stolen off my outside doors. Honest Mexicans also complain about being robbed constantly if they are not vigilant. I lived in Africa for 10 years and never encountered so much dishonestly. Mexicans will swear on the bible, lie in front of lawyers about being honest with tears in their eyes. They borrow money for grandparents that have died triple times without any intention of paying back. The acting should be given an award alone. Retired people should be warned. Yes benefits such as cheap living can be had but no thanks, I value freedom. I could not even ride my bicycle in a predigous community on a bike path without a Mexican trying to knock me over to steal the bike and it was not an expensive bike. Those thinking of retiring in Mexico should know the risks. There are many positives like cheap living, excellent health care and friendly people.

I am very sorry to hear of your experiences.

That has not been my experience at all.   I was advised to avoid '
expat neighborhoods and avoid looking overly prosperous.  As a
little old lady on my own  (and  American   in appearance) I would walk on he board walk often and to the central village area, but never at night.   In recent years I have   lived in a middle class Mexican but beachfront neighborhood.   I dropped my wallet and it was returned within an hour (minus the cash) but that is to be expected.  I did get it back which was the good thing.   I left my keys (including my house keys) in a taxi. The next fare he picked up almost immediately, discovered them so he brought them right back before taking his fare to that person's destinatIon, which was great because I was locked out. He refused a tip as did the 'local" fare who found them. This has not been an isolated  experience at all.   I think where one chooses to live is a deciding factor.   I am very sorry for your situation.   When I first came to Mexico I thought I would live in Rosarito Beach.  I had a very unpleasant first few days there but I quickly moved to Playas where everything has been great....year after year.  Like they say in the real estate biz   LOCATION! LOCATION !  LOCATION!

So it seems that  Ajijic  is not a place to live, I have not been there. Ajijic, Jalisco, Lake Chapala have developed a reputation for being very expat dense and having the problems frequently associated with lots of wealthy expats.

Sorry that happened to you, but please don't assume that paints a valid picture of Mexico .
I too have lived here for five years, had the loss of a family member, and suffered a couple of robberies related to construction near by. But that's where any similarity ends.

I speak passable Spanish, am a permanent resident, and do not live in a tourist/ expat community. people have been nothing but kind and helpful. The people I know have been honest and reliable. the police have been dependable. I have had numerous experiences of people making sure I got treated fairly, didn't lose things, got the right change etc. To date I have not traveled any were in Mexico where I felt unsafe. Of course, like in any country I have avoided areas I knew to be risky.

Good luck where ever you go.

Travellight, I have had almost the same experiences, except I've lived in Mexico for 23 years, and in 4 places. :)

So where did you decide to live?

Where exactly did you live or do you live?

I lived in a palapa on the beach for 7 years, diving every time I could; then down the beach in a condo for another 7 (in Quintana Roo). We moved in 2007 to Coatepec, Veracruz for the climaate, since we weren't diving anymore. When my husband died in 2012, I moved to a smaller house in a different neighborhood. I live there with my cats, travel as much as I can, run an English book exchange, and teach "manualidades"--crochet, knitting, weaving, embroidery--whatever.

Guys , this was posted by this lady ---""posted by Cathy Dupree 2 months ago"" ......and i copy her post from other forum and posed here asking if this situation in Mexico is like this .

Yeah, I think most if not all of us noticed that, but because you re-posted , we felt we needed to air that situation out. At least I did. I couldn't just let it sit there.

I love to hear what other members are saying  and sharing their experience , I live in Brazil now but I am thinking to move to Guadalajara MX

Hello everyone...I'm a Mexican citizen now resident of Canada, I'm sorry to hear what is happening in some areas of my country...I'm embarrassed to accept that this is happening in Mexico...my apologies to moreto62
I come from a friendly fisherman village north of Puerto Vallarta it's a great peaceful place, I have had some bad experiences in Canada as well...but I do understand that this is only in some areas

Roger1973 wrote:

Hello everyone...I'm a Mexican citizen now resident of Canada, I'm sorry to hear what is happening in some areas of my country...I'm embarrassed to accept that this is happening in Mexico...my apologies to moreto62
I come from a friendly fisherman village north of Puerto Vallarta it's a great peaceful place, I have had some bad experiences in Canada as well...but I do understand that this is only in some areas

Muchas gracias, porque mi esposa y yo somos Canadienses y vamos a vivir como residentes permanentes en La Peñita de Jaltemba. Este pueblo esta muy tranquilo con pocos robos. Despues mirar su perfil creo que su pueblo es loin mismo que nosotros o cerca. Buena suerte para su negocio.
Thanks, because my wife and I are Canadians and will move to Mexico as permanent residents in La Peñita de Jaltemba. That little town is quite tranquil with few robberies. Looking at your profile I belive your fisherman village is the same or nearby. Good luck with your business.
GyC.

We live in Quintana Roo, in a mixed neighborhood of both locals and some expats, and have found most people friendly and helpful.  We are careful, but we would be in any place we lived.

Once, as tourists here, my husband left a new Iphone in a taxi to Playa del Carmen.  I called the phone number, the driver answered and turned his cab around, met us in Playa and returned the phone.  Just one example of how honest and kind people can be.

All places and situations have risk.  Life itself is full of them.  I visited Lake Chapala and loved the LCS to help adjust.  I like to talk and it will take a long time for me to have easy conversations in Spanish, so I appreciate the density of English Speaking expats.

Roger1973 wrote:

VIVA MEXICO ,,, i love Mexicans , they are mostly good people

papusa wrote:

We live in Quintana Roo, in a mixed neighborhood of both locals and some expats,
Once, as tourists here, my husband left a new Iphone in a taxi to Playa del Carmen.  I called the phone number, the driver answered and turned his cab around, met us in Playa and returned the phone.  Just one example of how honest and kind people can be.

Same happened  to me in Brasil , went to poor neighborhood mercado  and an the way out lost my wallet in the parking lot , @ hours later i went back and all my money , documents and credit cards were inside my valet and the wallet was returned to a costumer service desk... poor ppl but  honest

Nice story to hear.

I'm glad you like Mexicans 😊

Love them!  This is one example - in all areas of our life here we've found many, many people who go out of their way to be helpful. 

This is a city, and every city has crime and some sour apples.  You need to use common sense and you should be fine!

Babs,
I like Merida.  I've visited there twice.  Do you have any experiences in that city?
Veracruz seems to be gorgeous ...I wanted to be near the ocean.  How are the bugs, sewer systems, water supply and locals acceptance of Americans?
I am a single 66 year old female and speak broken Spanish.  I love the people and the country and am looking to rent, long term, in a beautiful town with warm weather on the water.
I need a source for US goods when I feel I need to reconnect with my upbringing and fascination with modern stores.  Merida has this.
Thank you,
Ally

We looked at houses in Merida in 2007, found it too hot and too crowded for us. It's also not on the water, which is something you wanted. Coatepec, where I live now, has great weather if you don't mind a little winter chill. It also has some great waterfalls in the area and some rivers. For me a big advantage is the coffee grown here, and the long growing season for all sorts of exotic plants.

Babs G. wrote:

We looked at houses in Merida in 2007, found it too hot and too crowded for us. It's also not on the water, which is something you wanted. Coatepec, where I live now, has great weather if you don't mind a little winter chill. It also has some great waterfalls in the area and some rivers. For me a big advantage is the coffee grown here, and the long growing season for all sorts of exotic plants.

Coatepec is at about 4000 feet above sea level. It mustn't be that cool in the winter. I am currently living at 6000 feet above sea level (San Miguel de Allende) and it is cool at night here, but not unbearable.

Coatepec sounds like not a bad place as it is not far from the ocean if and when you have the "playa" urge and want to warm up a bit.

AlicatAZ:  If you can find a place on the ocean in Mexico that does not have high humidity, let me know. If you can afford to leave and go live somewhere where the humidity and heat are not too intense, as they are in many of the ocean-side places in Mexico, then living in one of these places is probably a good idea. Or, if you can learn to tolerate the humidity and heat day-after-day that is another option.

But for me, living in the mountains, the climate is much better. I can always take a trip to the coast anytime I wish and when the climate is at its most acceptable for me. Travel costs are not great in Mexico.  Something to consider.

Also, you mentioned that you are single. Depending on your needs, you might consider living in San Miguel de Allende where there are a lot of other single women expats. Common company?

I was in San Miguel last week for a conference, and it is a little uncomfortable for me. Having lived on the east coast for 14 years, I enjoy the proximity of the sea, but don't require it all the time. We are not a tourist town, though, which might deter some folks. I am a widow, and like my own company. There are enough other expats around so if I want to speak English to someone, I can. Otherwise, my cats are enough. I live in a Mexican neighborhood but I am not a hermit, by any means.

Babs G. wrote:

I was in San Miguel last week for a conference, and it is a little uncomfortable for me.

What did you find uncomfortable?

So, just out of curiosity Mike,
Do you have a business in SMA ? Or are you just retired ?

Retired. The best way to be.

FYI,
I live in one of those Beach areas, and the heat is not intense day after day. The last 3-4 months it has been in the 70's - 90's during the days and actually in the 60's-70's at night. The humidity is a given, but not the heat. Really hot only a few months a year most years, & here there is a steady breeze most of the time.I haven't used the AC since last October.

Yes, I know about the heat for only a few months. But the humidity is the kicker. Not for me. But good for some.

I find the breeze is the difference, constant breeze reminds me more of San Diego. I visited Tulum , and the humidity was intense even though it was a little cooler than Campeche.
I was only in Tulum for the weekend and I was glad to leave. So it varies. I would not want to live there , but some humidity here , with a steady breeze is fine.

The coffe growing got my attention!

I moved to ajijic several months ago, I live in the center of the town. It is beautiful, the weather is perfect and the people ( all) have been nothing but friendly and warm.  I live in a casita that is owned by an American with a well established business next door. He has owned the property for years and said it has never been robbed. While dining at the restaurant up the street the waitress handed my other half money and said it had fallen out of his pocket on the floor. There is a large expat community here and the lake chapala society. While looking for a home our Mexican driver who knows everyone and everywhere said exactly what he thought of the house and area the realtor had shown us. We followed his advice lol. I walk without hesitation all over town. We walk the lake side and downtown after dark. I feel safer here than in Florida. I love the mix of expat and Mexico here. I am taking spainish lessons thru the lake chapala societyand will be exploring more of Mexico. This is a great place to land and assimilate while you learn spainish and adjust. P.S. We lock our door , don't flash jewelry and use common sense. I will let everyone know if my experience changes.

Might i ask if you are renting or purchased property? I'm a wreck from the instant "shark " market. Trying to buy

We followed everyone we talked to advice and are renting first. We ended up with a house we found by driving around town looking for signs by owner.

Mel01 wrote:

We followed everyone we talked to advice and are renting first. We ended up with a house we found by driving around town looking for signs by owner.

Always a wise idea. Now you will have time to look and think.

I have lived in central Ajijic for 3 yrs and visited for 5 yrs before that.
You are the first person I have heard of calling Mexicans thiefs.
My experience has been the opposite. The kindness and politness is an everyday occurance with me, I feel safer here than the state's. I know several bike riders and I've never heard a story like yours.
I hope wherever you go you find a place that's a better fit.
My experience has been with many expats that bring that entitled attitude with them. And see what they want to see. I don't think you are like that. I'm just saying.

I live in the state of Washington in a nice neighborhood. We had about $600 worth of lumber stolen from our job site in the middle of the night while we were building our house. After we moved in, we had someone on our front stoop opening our UPS package. I know some of you are questioning whether this is really a nice neighborhood, but it really is! In other words, it seems like in most places, there is a growing gap between economic levels of existence. It's a problem which exacerbates thievery but I would caution people against painting with too wide a brush.

Good point Bob10.

Since this thread seems to have morphed into a discussion of 'best places to live' rather than the less pleasant topic of robberies, does anyone have any experience of living in the Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo area? I vacationed there a few years ago and Zihuatanejo struck me as a clean, well-run town. The big plus is that it is less than an hour's flying time from Mexico City, where I live, the downside is that it is in Guerrero which has no shortage of law and order issues. Any comments would be welcome.

Regarding the original topic of robberies, I've lived in the CDMX for nearly 7 years and haven't personally experienced crime problems although I did once avoid, strictly by chance, being in an armed robbery situation in colonia Popotla. I now live in colonia del Valle, an above average income neighbourhood but some folks were robbed in mid-afternoon in front of my condo one day so I don't delude myself about anywhere being free of crime.

bdwight wrote:

Since this thread seems to have morphed into a discussion of 'best places to live' rather than the less pleasant topic of robberies, does anyone have any experience of living in the Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo area? I vacationed there a few years ago and Zihuatanejo struck me as a clean, well-run town. The big plus is that it is less than an hour's flying time from Mexico City, where I live, the downside is that it is in Guerrero which has no shortage of law and order issues. Any comments would be welcome.

Regarding the original topic of robberies, I've lived in the CDMX for nearly 7 years and haven't personally experienced crime problems although I did once avoid, strictly by chance, being in an armed robbery situation in colonia Popotla. I now live in colonia del Valle, an above average income neighbourhood but some folks were robbed in mid-afternoon in front of my condo one day so I don't delude myself about anywhere being free of crime.

Goodgrief would be one of the people you might want to ask about Zihuatanejo . He and others have posted about there  previously.

As for Cd. de Mx., I am always amazed at the difference between experiences the expats talk about and what I hear from natives with family living there. I also know what the issues are about parts of the city sinking and environmental health issues especially for infants and seniors. 
The people I know with families there want their families to move because of constant robberies , congestion, and 2 hour drives to get to work. The families tend to stay citing the same cultural  benefits the expats talk about. So the answer to safety there is probably a matter of who you are; and how important museums , gallery's and shows are. Even if you never have time to visit them because you are working, driving to work, or filling out police reports about your latest robbery.