Another Day, Another Demo

In order to help remind the good folk of Jakarta not to vote for an infidel or non Islamic leader, there will be again another big rally on Saturday before the 3 days of quiet leading up to the election.

So, if you are planning to go shopping or sight seeing or come to Jakarta for its sheer awesomeness then come on Sunday when the demo is over.

Another top weekend.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2017 … rally.htmlhttp://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2017 … otest.htmlhttps://en.tempo.co/read/news/2017/02/0 … to-Jakarta

It is my intention to go for a wander on Sunday, not Saturday.

I won't be joining this or any other demo but I'll be happy to pop my hand on a copy of Al Qur'an, read sila ke 3 and swear to support it.

To Lukereg and Fred.
You don't worry or fear of Muslim in my country that the demo will not bother anyone. Our only demand a leader must be a Muslim.  because we are a Muslim majority countries to follow our Lord command in accordance holy book Al Qur'an. And also to maintain the unity of Indonesia as it once again. Fred is true number 3 percepts of Pancasila. Islam is a religion peace. First we felt come and peaceful, but not now. That's why these demonstration could occur.
We want peace back in attendance

Yuni.

We're both long term in Indonesia and we both know the situation pretty well.
Neither of us are scared of Islam, we both respect Islam but both of us hold a distaste for SOME Muslims, not because of their religion, just their actions.

I recall one man who greeted me with the tradition Muslim words but issued as a challenge, not a welcome. That misuse of a beautiful phrase is insulting to me and possibly Islam. The words should (in my opinion) only be used when you are truly welcoming someone as a brother or sister, not to see if the white dude knows how to answer.
Another tried to scare me by telling me the area I was walking through was 100% Muslim as if I should be frightened to be there for some reason. I don't do scared of people because they share a religion, but I dislike anyone abusing a religion as a way to frighten someone.
The thing I really dislike is when I tell someone I'm a Muslim but they refuse to believe me, asking me to recite the declaration as proof.
I get really pissed off they deny my faith without such proof just because I'm white.

However, apart from a very few people, my personal experience of Islam and Muslims is very good, sadly there are some (very few) who give the outward impression they want to act outside the things that make up the basis of Indonesia.
I took time to study UUD 1945 and I like it. It guarantees respect and freedom for all Indonesians with none excluded for any reasons.
Some of the things they are reported as saying don't seem to be in line with Pancasila and/or UUD 1945, and that makes me wonder what some in that minority are up to.
Of course, that all assumes the reporting of the various oddities is fair, accurate and unbiased.
Some of those reported cases look like they will go to trial and I hope and trust they will be handled fairly, and without the need for a demo.

Indonesia has a motto, and it's an excellent one.
Bhinneka Tunggal Ika.

Thank you to share your religion with us Fred. Islam is not just for Arab or Indonesian but for anyone even westerner like yourself who believe in our faith. Go in peace my brother.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people are going to be happy at the latest; I am.

https://en.tempo.co/read/news/2017/02/0 … r-Saturday

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Jakarta Metro Police chief M Iriawan has banned the so-called “112” act (Anti-Ahok rally) scheduled for Saturday, February 11, 2017.

“Jakarta Metro Police forbid the long march… based on the laws that stipulate the prohibition,” Iriawan said yesterday in Jakarta.

A few points I'd like to make.  One is that Indonesia is considered a secular nation.  Two, Indonesia is guided and founded on the principles of Pancasila, not Sharia.  Three, Indonesia has had non Muslim elected officials for many years, and it should UNQUESTIONABLY continue to elect its public officials NOT based on their religion, but rather, based on their qualifications.

I don't care if the governor of Jakarta is a Sari Roti eating, Quentin Crisp loving, Shark fin soup maker, Transexual, disabled worshipper of a stuffed owl and 2 pebbles it makes no odds to me.
What alarms me is the mentality that Indonesia is for muslims forgetting the the other religions here in the country. Demos are great and serve purpose and should be allowed to happen but there is no religion in the world which suggests greed, harassment, bullying and being unkind to others. It is an interpretation of belief held by an individual.

I sincerely hope that Ahok regains control of Jakarta and continues to fight corruption, bribery and improve of the lives of the people who live work and worship in the city without prejudice to colour, creed, sex or belief.

Chinese first no Indonesian. Muslin first no Indonesian.

The people should vote for a person who they feel will improve their standard of living and rights because that person says that they are able to do it and will not vote on someone religious beliefs or outlook.

lukereg wrote:

I don't care if the governor of Jakarta is a Sari Roti eating, Quentin Crisp loving, Shark fin soup maker, Transexual, disabled worshipper of a stuffed owl and 2 pebbles it makes no odds to me.

I won't vote for anyone who eats shark fin soup.

Fred... :D

Luke...well said.   :top: