General questions- Looking into move from Michigan to Puerto Rico

Hi everyone-

My name is Andrea and my husband and I are looking into moving to PR in the near future with our three kids, ages 5, 3, and almost 1. A few questions (well, more like a million, but I'll start with a few):

1. Has anyone taken advantage of Act 20? We are planning on keeping our home in Michigan and buying/building a home we will live in during the school year.

2. We are very interested in Dorado, specifically the Sabanera neighborhood and TASIS school. Is anyone familiar with these? Can you build a new home in Sabanera or is it better to buy existing? Are there many kids? Do many people in that area/neighborhood speak English?

3. We know little/no Spanish but are open to learning it. Is it really hard to get by without Spanish? Are there areas where English is spoken more? I'm worried about not being able to do everyday stuff (make doctors appointments, etc) until I get a better handle on the language.

4. How are healthcare and other services (internet, electric, cell etc)? Is service comparable to US?

We've only been to San Juan twice on a cruise, so we definitely have some scouting and investigating to do. Looking forward to your thoughts and comments!

I don't have kids so I can't speak for the schools.

Most everybody in the larger cities and the places where there are lots of Xpats (like Rincon) is bi-lingual, so you can get along fine without Spanish (although it's better if you know it).

Being a patient in PR is exactly that -- it requires lots of patience Waits are long and facilities few. The care provided (when you can find it) is professional and reasonable. Fortunately, like in much of Europe, pharmacists are there to help with many medical issues and are allowed to dispense medications that would need a prescription if purchcased in the mainland.

Internet is a crap shoot and depends largely on your location and the type of serice you need. Liberty and Claro are the largest providers. T-mobile is all over the island, and since I already had T-mobile service, i just set up my phone as a hot spot and run all devices -- including the TVs -- through the hot spot with one flat fee

Building v buying? That really is a judgment call and depends on a lot of factors. Since you can get such a good deal on existing homes these days, I'd go that way first, rather than go through the hassle of building one -- at least initially --

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Thank you so much for the info!

I think we'll need to do a trial run or two before we actually commit to anything. My husband works remotely, so great internet is a must in our world.

How long are waits typically, say if you're in the ER or at a scheduled doctor appointment? I was an operating room nurse for 7 years so I'm pretty familiar/sympathetic to appointments getting pushed back, but if it's an all day thing...that might take some getting used to. :)

Doctors are split, those that keep appointments and those who don't. While most doctors are bilingual, the doctor staff may not be, making it difficult to ask questions and make appointments.

For those doctors not good at appointments, it may be 2-3 hours. Public hospitals are the worse, get in at 4 am and they should see you by 2-3 pm. Best avoid them unless you are bleeding.

Best Buy a house that already exist instead of building unless you are real picky and want a house to your specifications. Plenty of houses on the market.

Andrea42905 wrote:

Hi everyone-

My name is Andrea and my husband and I are looking into moving to PR in the near future with our three kids, ages 5, 3, and almost 1. A few questions (well, more like a million, but I'll start with a few):

1. Has anyone taken advantage of Act 20? We are planning on keeping our home in Michigan and buying/building a home we will live in during the school year.

2. We are very interested in Dorado, specifically the Sabanera neighborhood and TASIS school. Is anyone familiar with these? Can you build a new home in Sabanera or is it better to buy existing? Are there many kids? Do many people in that area/neighborhood speak English?

3. We know little/no Spanish but are open to learning it. Is it really hard to get by without Spanish? Are there areas where English is spoken more? I'm worried about not being able to do everyday stuff (make doctors appointments, etc) until I get a better handle on the language.

4. How are healthcare and other services (internet, electric, cell etc)? Is service comparable to US?

We've only been to San Juan twice on a cruise, so we definitely have some scouting and investigating to do. Looking forward to your thoughts and comments!

Hi Andrea!

My husband and I moved to Humacao, PR a couple months ago. He works from home under Act 22, the individual side of the acts.  Palmas de Mar is an area you should probably look into - lots of English spoken and a k-12 academy. Restaurants, beach club, pools, golf, tennis, equestrian center. There are lots of different communities within palmas with their own flavors.

If your husband works from home and needs to have reliable internet - definitely make sure you have a generator or live in a condo that has a generator. Get a battery backup for the computer so that when the power blips you do not have to restart everything. We only had one choice for Internet (Liberty) in our community but it is faster than what we had in the states.

One other thing, with Act 22 at least we have to be careful to satisfy lots of conditions - one being the "closer connections" to Puerto Rico condition. Having a house in the states is fine but we have to make sure it is either rented out or on the market actively trying to sell it, can't just leave it sitting vacant. Also, it took us several months to get the Act 22 process and approval so plan accordingly! :)

Donna

Thank you, Rey!

That's pretty much what I've been reading. We're generally a pretty healthy bunch, so hopefully it's not much of an issue!

Hi Donna,

Thank you, I will look further into Palmas! Just did a quick glance at their website and it looks lovely. :)

I'll have to look into the house thing further for sure- we rented out a previous home while we lived in a condo downtown  we'd never buy (pre-kids), but in this house the HOA doesn't allow renting, and I really don't want to sell it since we'll likely come back for the summer months and maybe Christmas and/or spring break. My husband scheduled a call with some people to discuss the legal aspects this week, so hoping that gives us greater insight!

Not sure about act 22 but you need to live in PR at least 6 mints plus a day to be considered a resident and probably need be registered to vote in PR which voids your right to vote in the mainland. By keeping a house in the states it complicates matters with the IRS and the state taxes / property taxes. I believe act 22 requires full commitment to PR living, as I been told you can submit paperwork while in the states but you have a time limit that requires you to be a resident of PR sometime along the line or they come back at you for the old taxes.

I think Davidtx (see his testimony on first page) is running some kind of act 20/22 help group, you may want to Private Message him.

Do your research on TASIS. I was not pleased and sent my kids elsewhere and I know lots of people in Dorado that have pulled their kids out and now take them to San Juan. Good luck!

Thank you, all good info and the support group link! I'll look into it.

Oh no! What was it about it that you didn't like, if you don't mind my asking?

Andrea42905 wrote:

Hi Donna,

Thank you, I will look further into Palmas! Just did a quick glance at their website and it looks lovely. :)

I'll have to look into the house thing further for sure- we rented out a previous home while we lived in a condo downtown  we'd never buy (pre-kids), but in this house the HOA doesn't allow renting, and I really don't want to sell it since we'll likely come back for the summer months and maybe Christmas and/or spring break. My husband scheduled a call with some people to discuss the legal aspects this week, so hoping that gives us greater insight!

You are welcome!

The legal call will give you a lot of good info.  Make sure you ask for specifics on time allowed in the states (like Rey mentioned). For Act 22, we have to be physically in PR half of the year, of the remaining time though only 3 months can be spent in the states.  Establishing official Puerto Rico residency is also very important for the Acts and can take some time and effort (read the posts on the forum about driver's license and such :) ).

If you are not going for any tax advantages like act 20 or 22, then you can spend any amount of time in PR and the states. However driver license may become an issue since you need to use PR license after so many months.

ReyP wrote:

If you are not going for any tax advantages like act 20 or 22, then you can spend any amount of time in PR and the states. However driver license may become an issue since you need to use PR license after so many months.

Our you can do what I do, if you get pull over, tell them you are on vacations. Until they fix the issue with the license not been accepted at airports, I will not suggest changing it. After October, the PR will not be valid to travel. This may potentially can affect renting a car or other issues since the current license is stanp as "not a valid id"

You can get real id license in Puerto Rico. You pay additional 15 dollars, make sure you are clear about that. Save your receipt in case they screw up.
Note that only some of the DMV places issue real I'd licenses so check before you go there.

Just noticed that red line on the license: NOT FOR REAL ID PURPOSES

Rey, are you saying you can swap it out for one that does not say that?

Yes they are offering them, but only on some locations, call and ask.

Hi Andrea,

Moderated by Julien 7 years ago
Reason : advertising your services is not allowed on the forums : please register in our business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello! Just to add my 2 cents based on my experience..2 places you can get a real ID is Humacao and Carolina ...but you will need a passport or be born in Puerto Rico to get it😊

Andrea, we are completing our move to PR this spring and we have spent summers in Palmas Del Mar for the last 3 years, My sister is already there and lives in Palmas. Her daughter attended High School at the Palmas Academy and was thrilled. She was in the AP Magnet programs in Texas and didn't find the Academy quite as challenging but she was accepted at every college she applied to in the States and chose CSU (21% acceptance rate so pretty tough). I was quite impressed that all but 1 kid in her graduating class is in college, most in the states and several on full rides, as of Christmas, all had passed their first term. The school is small and they form tight connections with each other but also with the teachers and advisors. My 6 year old has been to summer camp at Palmas Academy for 2 summers and we have been extremely pleased with our experience there, as are friends we have made in Palmas with elementary school kids. You can get by with out Spanish, my brother has learned very little but it can get frustrating. Be patient and have a translator app on your phone but be aware it will likely not work by voice for the Puerto Rican dialect.

Our experience with medical has been very slight but we did have to wait quite a while and language was a barrier with staff. We have since located a doctor that makes house calls in Palmas.

I second the generator suggestion though many homes will have them, Liberty is ok but you will want a hot spot as back up. I have ATT and it works fine (I also work remotely).

There are a number of communities with in Palmas that you might like and like Dorado it is gated (double gated at times) and heavily occupied by expats.  Lots of great lots to build on but the housing market is pretty weak so you will get a much better deal if you buy one. Be prepared, contractors are skilled but most don't speak much English and any project will take twice as long as they say.

I have a terrific lawyer there helping me with my act applications and LLC, let me know if you need one.

I can agree with most of SSABRINA6's message. Where I disagree is in Spanish, I think it is extremely important to learn it. Palmas is a great place, but there is a whole island outside and most people's jobs do not require them to be able to speak English specially after they leave the office. If they use their chop up English it is as a courtesy, you get what you give. Do you want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere and being unable to speak the language?

I totally agree Rey, We are working on our Spanish and have great Puerto Rican friends that laugh and correct us freely. I just meant that you can get by if you are patient and and have a sense of humor,  the Puerto Ricans in general are warm and helpful people, most want to help and if you will try to speak Spanish they will try to help you in English. I had a stranger help me look for cocoa in Ralphs supermarket for half an hour who didn't speck a word of English (she found it for me and then taught me how to ask for it so they knew what I wanted as opposed to hot chocolate).  Like most countries though, if one is  arrogant and expects that locals should know English, they will shut you down in a heartbeat.

SSABRINA6 wrote:

I totally agree Rey, We are working on our Spanish and have great Puerto Rican friends that laugh and correct us freely. I just meant that you can get by if you are patient and and have a sense of humor,  the Puerto Ricans in general are warm and helpful people, most want to help and if you will try to speak Spanish they will try to help you in English. I had a stranger help me look for cocoa in Ralphs supermarket for half an hour who didn't speck a word of English (she found it for me and then taught me how to ask for it so they knew what I wanted as opposed to hot chocolate).  Like most countries though, if one is  arrogant and expects that locals should know English, they will shut you down in a heartbeat.

You got it!!!!!
Way to go.
It takes time, do not get discouraged

Can you share the schools in San Juan please? Our little one will be starting Pre-K. Thank you.