When looking for accommodations - short term or long term

Another poster answered a question and it made me think it was time for this thread.

Moving here and renting or moving   (even the first few times)..........is  an adventure.  It is not like at home for 99.9% of us.  Things  are very very different. Some things to look for and check.

Thank you to the original poster for  her post - she can identify herself if she chooses...... I have added to it and edited parts.

What to ask about, check on or investigate - applies everywhere in the DR:

- Which neighborhoods are better?
- Would it be better to live in an apartment or a house?
- What are my lifestyle needs?
- Is it furnished?
- What electrical circuit is it on and what are the scheduled outages?
- Does it have an invertor (back-up electricity)? OR a generator?
- What  Cable / Internet / phone providers are available here?
- Do I have signal  inside this location with my Cell phone provider?
- Is there a tinaco and or cisterna? How many days a week do we get water service?
- Is the home or apartment secure (difficult to break into)? Are their bars on doors and windows?
- Does the building or complex have security? How good is it?
- Will you need an AC or will a fan be sufficient? Is there 220 power if I want and AC?
- How far is the nearest grocery store, restaurants, hardware store,  pharmacy etc?
- How close is the Colmado (corner store)?
- Do they play loud music ANY day of the week?
- What is the distance between your place of employment and work?
- What safe means of transportation are available? (In small cities the common means of transportation are moto-taxis.)
- Which areas should I avoid?
- Is it safe to walk at night?
- Where is the closest ATM/ bank?
- What about schools / church / gym etc?
- How many months of security deposit are needed? (typically 2 + first month's rent in a one year lease)
- What type of visa do I need to remain legally in the Dominican Republic for my planned stay?

In my experience  - you want to check the place out in the daytime, then you want to come back in the evening,  check it on the weekends - daytime and night.  You want an idea of  how things are most days of the week!  What is quiet and nice  5 days a week can turn into a nightmare Friday night thru Monday morning!   

Finding out after the fact that you only  get water from the street one day a week and that  4 apartments share one tinaco is not good.

You get the idea. 

Please add your comments and add to this list!  I am sure there is more!

Thank you planner for posting my questions and adding other very important questions.

Another question that I would add is:

Is it prone to flooding? Or has it ever flooded before? If possible, it would be good to visit the home or apartment when it's raining heavily to find out or at least inquire from the neighbors. Although this is true anywhere, its especially good to inquire after the major flooding in parts of the north coast including Puerto Plata and Las Terrenas.

All these questions can be challenging to answer if arrangements to rent or buy are made prior to arriving in the country unless you have a very trustworthy source of information that can find out for you. Alternatively, it may be practical to obtain lodging for a week or two in order to give yourself time to look and investigate about potential long-term rentals and/or purchases. Your due diligence in these matters will save you a lot of time and money in the long run.

For what it is worth, I would like to add my 2 cents.
Transportation: What is your budget and what are the options.
Renting a car can be very expensive. You have to be careful where you rent from. Many $30/day rentals do not have full coverage and that is essential when renting in the DR. Taxies around the North Coast. I found one local that I use all the time when I require a taxi. I trust him and he gives me a fair rate, many others don't. Uber works fine in Santo Domingo and is a good option.
Moto-concho. Cheap but they scare the crap out of me. I wouldn't get on my bike back home without wearing a helmet, why would I get on a Moto-concho and not wear one.  I did consider buying my own scooter to get around in, but that also scares me.
For now, I rely on my 2 front feet. I walk everywhere and with that comes health benefits, and fits into my budget.

Great stuff!!

Not just flooding - heavy rains can equal leaks and filtration!!! Check ceilings and check the roof if possible.

Never ever assume the landlord will repair once you are moved in!!!