Madrid or Barcelona?

Investigating Madrid and Barcelona to move to as a retired expat; in Madrid right now.

Was talking to a group of Madrid locals last evening - they thought Madrid was more of a real city and Barcelona more of a tourist destination; Madrid has more going on/things to do/activities.

Other points of view?

Which speaks English Retirees living Long-Term there the most?  Which has most cheap entertainment and activities a retiree would require??  But most of all; which has more year round Long-Term Residence; as you font want to be in a ghost town during the Summer months when most return home to their Homeland.

Pretty hard to answer your question as you dont specify much information about yourself. Obviously, if you ask people living in an area the best place to live the answers will mostly be that they like where they live, since if they didnt they would move. I have lived off and on in Spain for 22 years, including about 3 years in Barcelona in the 1990s, 2 years in Valencia on early 2000s and the rest of the time in Albuquerque, NM or in Alicante, where I am now retired. Somewhere on this site I have posted info on Alicante, which I consider to be an excellent place to live with pretty much everything that I would like to do (Theatre, concerts at the ADDA auditorium, many civic groups, excellent central market, fine dining restaurants at a very reasonable  menu price, movie theatres including VOS, beaches, good access to all modes of transport, etc. So as far as having enough to do, I think any large city in Spain provides plenty of entertainment.  On this site there is discussion on Barcelona. It is sonewhat dated, but gives some good information. From my own point of view, Barcelona and Madrid are both very expensive and generally you have to pay for entertainment. Valencia is less expensive, and offered a significant amount of free entertainment when I lived there. I saw the mingus big band in a park on the Turia river and went to free outdoor movies in another park. For a large city, Barcelona us very livable, but I much prefer Alicante. I have been to Madrid quite a few times. I love the Prado, but there is not much else that I like there. Just my opinion.

Well it´s not an easy question. Madrid and Barcelona are two beautifull cities. I like Barcelona more since the weather is better, and for me having the ocean right there and going to the beach in summer is priceless. Barcelona for me has everything a city must have and is quite easy to move around since it´s not huge. There are always things happening, parties, celebrations, international events and more.

Seems like Malaga is somewhat a small Barcelona - nice size but not huge, not quite as frenetic, good nightlife scene, many expats - and I would think, cheaper.