Living in Languedoc

We are really keen to move from Australia to Languedoc to a small village.  Any suggestions re do's and don'ts would be really appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Lellg

I moved to a small village about half way between Montpellier and Nimes with my family about 7 months ago.

We love it here, there is so much space and the weather is great, the food and wine also.

I don't speak much French but have had no problems getting work and my French getting better.

The local people are generally friendly and try to help but the French administration is a Nightmare! If you do move try to find a good account or lawyer to help find your way through the mountains of paper work.

We have two kids, one is four and has settled into preschool really well. He was fluent in French after 3 weeks.

Generally it's great here.

Feel free to get untouched if you need any info or help.

Cam

Thanks Cam for your reply.  Your area is probably very near the place we are looking at in Pouzols Minervois.  Our daughter is finishing school this year so looking at universities nearby or Barcelona which teach courses in English.  Very much appreciate your advice and we have heard about the admin side of France so take that on board ! Thanks again.  Lelly

Thanks Banda - yes got my geography a little muddled !  I would love your thoughts on the area if you have the time.  Any advice would be hugely appreciated !  Many thanks

Hello Banda

Thank you again for your reply.  I know both those villages (we were in Languedoc last year and had a good look around).  I guess our biggest question is how easy/difficult it is to assimilate into these small villages.  Are the locals generally friendly and welcoming to "outsiders" ?  We are pretty social people and have a large network here but really looking to expand our horizons.  We were there in winter and it was obviously pretty quiet.  Any thoughts/comments would be great. Many thanks.  Lelly

Thank you so much Damian, your thoughts are pretty much as I expected.  We certainly did not see many people around the villages in January when we were there but those we did in restaurants etc were very friendly - particularly when they realised we were Australian. (My husband Jack is a Colonel in our Army) so that helped a bit !  We are not mad night owls at all, preferring a quieter existence but we certainly always seem to have people calling in during the day for a glass (or two) of wine.  We live in the Barossa - have our own vineyard etc so I guess the area appealed to us for that reason too. The house we fell in love with is in Pouzols, it is off the market at the moment but going back on in April and we are in close contact with the owner.

We are not bothered about the heat of the summer - it is regularly in the 40s here and we did not find January very cold at all.

I really appreciate your very helpful advice and for your time.  Thanks so much again.

Lelly

Hello Banda

My thanks again for all your information.  We were certainly aware of the floodings and I do hope they were not terribly drastic.  The weather plays with us sometimes !  We have 45 deg days for a week then down to 18 deg - crazy.  It gets pretty cool in the Barossa in winter but obviously not quite like France.  I lived in London for nearly 10 years so understand the northern hemisphere chill.

How lovely to think we all might meet one day !  The owner of the house we are looking at is keen for us to buy (obviously !) but we did get on well so we do have first refusal if someone else comes along.  Though we are always careful in our wording and have merely said we love the house and interested but will not put in an offer at this point.

You must be looking forward to spring coming.  Thanks again !

Best wishes

Lelly

Hi, read your post with interest. Are you looking to buy a property in the Languedoc? As I have an appartment in a lovely chateau for sale, it needs refurbishment but has services to the appartment.
I have it up with an agent for 70k euros but would take a decent offer.

regards Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for your message.  Yes we are looking at buying a house (we have already identified one) - your apartment sounds great but we are looking at something bigger.  I do hope you find a buyer soon but thanks so much for thinking of me !

Kind regards

Lelly