Moving to Montezuma or Cabuya

Hello All,
My Fiance and I are considering a move to Costa Rica! We want to bring our Dog, and would like to hear from people who have dealt with this? Is it a big hassle? Are many rentals pet friendly? I also am curious what bank many expats use? I was considering CitiBank. It has been since the mid 90's when I was in Costa Rica last. I imagine many things have changed, and would also like to hear from people who have been there a long time! Thank You! We can't wait to hear from you!

AC

Hello, and welcome!
We didn't deal with bringing a pet, but plenty of others have - flight and immigration/custom are no real problem as long as you have all the proper shots and documentation (w/ proper timing), and bring the dog on the same flight.  Many smaller hotels (especially B&Bs) are pet-friendly. 
Dogs are not allowed on buses, so you will need to consider how you will travel around the country, and whether you will bring your dog with you, or get a pet-sitter or use a kennel (once you are settled).
re banks:  Citibank (and other "name brand" banks) here are not branches, but rather franchises.  You do not have access to your California account directly.  So there is no real advantage to sticking with the same bank name.  In fact, there is a slight disadvantage of the private banks compared to the public banks, such as Banco Nacional - the public banks are insured by the CR government, while the private banks may or may not be covered for collapse by their parent bank.
If you are looking into immigrating, as opposed to snowbirding or perpetual tourism, check out the requirements here: www.arcr.net.
good luck!
Julie

We've been living in Montezuma for a few months now, and brought our dog over just after Thanksgiving.  He's a thirty plus pound dog and we traveled with him as checked baggage.  It was a bit of a hassle getting all the paperwork done, but the trip itself was easy enough.  We have used ARCR for a lot of help but did not find their assistance in pet transport any use.  The vet they put us in touch with for a fee never emailed us back, so that wasn't money well spent.

We set up an account with Banco Nacional and find it very user friendly.  An initial wire in to your Costa Rican account would then allow you to live more locally.

You can always contact me directly if you would like to know more.

Stuart

http://mangoesmovedme.wordpress.com/