Is it at all possible?

Hi folks I have been doing a lot of research on moving to Belize from Canada and I know the odds are against me but I am just going to throw this out there. Is it possible to move to Belize with very little money and by very little I mean only about 1500 USD and find job when I get there I know the laws state that I need to be a resident for at least a year before I can search for work but is there any way around this law. I lust really want to change my lifestyle I need this. Thanks in adavance

Mike

No--Mexico it would be possible but not Belize --it is too expensive.

moondog67 wrote:

Hi folks I have been doing a lot of research on moving to Belize from Canada and I know the odds are against me but I am just going to throw this out there. Is it possible to move to Belize with very little money and by very little I mean only about 1500 USD and find job when I get there I know the laws state that I need to be a resident for at least a year before I can search for work but is there any way around this law. I lust really want to change my lifestyle I need this. Thanks in adavance

Mike

Since you are proposing violating Belizion laws, I don't think $1,500 is going to be enough to bribe officials to allow you to break what seems to be a well enforced law.

In order to stay within the laws, what skills/talents do you have that are needed in Belize, but legal residents/citizens can not provide?

I have met three folks that continue to work for Canadian and American companies that are able to do their job online, that have moved to Belize.

Good Morning,  Yes you can live on $1500 a month. I do it. Apartment and home rentals are cheaper in the south, excluding Placencia. You should think about seeking online work? Even if you were to work under the table. $3.00 bzd for kitchen help?

moondog67 wrote:

Mike

Hi Mike;
Welcome to the Belize Forum. You can find a lot of good information by reading through previous topics. Employment is one that comes up often.

In your question you do not indicate whether US$1500.00 is a monthly income or the total that you have in pocket to start a new life. If it is a total then I would say definitely not. If that is a monthly income then the answer is yes. Your options will be limited, for example depending on lifestyle it may not be enough for life on the Cayes (islands). US$1500. would be BZ$3000. which is more than we spend for all expenses to live in Cayo.

As others have mentioned, jobs in Belize are protected for the Belizean people. Unlike Canada where wages are high and the benefits to company's in hiring undocumented worker can be less than the fines, in Belize wages are very low and the penalties to employers very high in comparison. It would be unlikely that you would find someone willing to take that risk. Also Belize is a small country and blending in and going unnoticed is very unlikely. Also coming with the intention of circumventing local laws is probably a bad plan.

I would suggest a bit more research on your part. You must live in Belize for one year before applying for residency, until that time you would be considered a "visitor" and be required to renew that visa every month. After the year you can apply for residency, but approval can take several years. At least one  to two years and some have been waiting for three to four.

There are options as others have mentioned like an online job, or if you have a special skill or talent that can't be offered by a Belizean then a work permit may be applied for, but they are also expensive and not readily available.

Good luck with your research.

Online work and starting your own business are the best ways to make money here. If you want to start your own business, I highly recommend obscene amounts of research on regulations and the market. Regulations are way different here.

Hi, It is possible to live on 1500 per month.  BUT finding a job may be difficult.  The pay is low, unless you have some special skills.  You could open some sort of business, however.  Good Luck with your venture.  I have been here almost 11 years, still love the place.