Moving to Estepona?

Hi

I'm very excited about the possibility of a job I have applied for in Marbella.  They have advised me, that if I were successful, that I should I look for accommodation around Estepona.  The only stumbling block is that I have three small dogs and wouldn't want to leave them. 

Do you think I'd find a three bed property that would accept dogs for 1500 euros or less?

Also, do you think I could support my family (husband and daughter) on about 30,000 euros a year?  I'd have about ten thousands in savings.

Thanks for your advice,

Lindsey

Hi Lindsey

How exciting! and all the best of luck for your new job and move.

I don't live near Estepona, I'm further inland in Alcala La Real, near Granada,  so can't really give you advice on rental property but I'm sure that you will be able to find somewhere in your rental budget that takes dogs so don't worry! I'd contact agents sooner rather than later and ask their advice. I'm sure that they will be happy to help you find something that suits your needs.

As for the cost of living, I think that you will be pleasantly surprised at how cheaply you can live here compared to the UK.

We have to live on a fairly tight budget and we manage on less than 1,000 per month. That said, we don't go out to eat very often and we are careful but, it can be done.

Good Luck and I hope it all works out for you  :)

Thank you.  I've not got it yet, so maybe I'm being a bit over excited!  However, the stress of my job here makes it all look very appealing.  I work in a very demanding school in an area of high deprivation.  I phoned the school I am applying to this morning, spoke to a lady from Birmingham who was very encouraging and fell in love with it.  I know Benalmadena quite well, having holidayed there many times, but I know that there is quite a difference between living there and being on holiday.  Really, I have perfect qualifications and experience for the job, but I know the pay cut will be quite drastic.  I'm on £52k here, and expect only about £30k there. 

However, even though the job may have its same stresses, it will be nice weather at least.  Just feel I need a change! And they say no Spanish is necessary and will have a free place in the private school for my daughter.  It will be perfect!

I read this morning that there are a lot of violent house robberies in that area.  Have you heard anything?

I really wish that I could give you more info on the area - hopefully someone on this forum will be able to help you better than I can.

I wouldn't be put off by stories in the press or things you've heard. Everywhere has its pros and cons and from what I gather, Estepona is a lovely area to live and the weather is gorgeous!  I think you will all really benefit from living here.  We absolutely love living in Spain and have no regrets about leaving the UK.

Think positive and it will happen! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :)

My daughter lives in Ourense, Northern Spain, and has to return to the UK for her final year at uni but she too has said she will never stay in th UK after that.  There must be some truth in the quality of life differing so much from the UK if that's what you all say!   Thank you for your good luck wishes.

I have an interview on Thursday!   Hurray!