House hunting question...roof problems in particular

After 11 months of obsessively looking at property in PR online, almost daily, I've been here a bit less than 2 wks looking at the houses I had put on a wish list spread sheet. I've learned a lot. It has been both really interesting and really frustrating... sometimes both at the same time. My question for anyone who can advise is, if I'm considering a house with serious roof condition problems is that an automatic spoiler? The rest of the house seems quite sound (cement). I love a project house, it makes for good, long lasting friendship with neighbors. I've never dealt w this type construction so I need some guidance. is replacing a poured cement roof costly? Also, if the roof needs to be replaced is it an opportunity to do a redesign for a roof garden,deck, or something else?

Thanks for any advice or feedback.Looking forward to being here at least part time, starting this year.

Most people scrape the roof and paint it with this while plastic like substance and repair any major ceiling cracks. Another way is to pour a second layer of concrete. Espect around 10-12k for a second layer and a little less 5-9 for the plastic paint repair

If you know what you doing is a heck of a lot cheaper. Either way, power wash it, fill cracks then use either option.

Many types of concrete, I have no clue which to use ask home depot and others. Also the amount of water versus concrete makes a big difference and getting the air bubbles out.

Also make sure you have good drainage so the water don't just sit there. All concrete roof will eventually leak, maintenance can extend it but eventually it will leak. Strong sun, heavy rains and the change in temperature eventually deteriorate it.

Tilted roof are in a way better for drainage but they tend to leak where they join the wall or the other section of the roof, not everyone is an expert at sealing it properly.

If you are serious about a particular house that has a leaky roof, get a contractor to go up there, take a look at the condition, measure it and give you a solid estimate, then you decide if it is worth it for you. If the contractor does not bring a ladder and climb up, get a new contractor, he is guessing. He also need to go inside the house and observer the damage inside.

As lond as the roof don't have structural damage you are looking at sealing the roof. We sealed ours as a preventive maintenance since cement roofs will eventually leak. Cement expands and contract with temperature changes creating fine craks. Our roof is 35' x 45' fist time it cost us $2500 it will last a good 5yrs before having to apply a new coat. The process is not hard to do, rent a power wash machine, cover any major cracks with a fine mix of cement and sand, then let it dry overnight and paint. The 5 gal pails will cost between $75-150/each and will cover aproximate 400sq' each. DO NOT use the black rubber tart unless you want and oven in your house.
One thing you want to check is if the leaks haven't damaged the electricity running thru the roof.

Hello,
I am also looking for a high level cost for planning purposes on coating and sealing a concrete roof, that has never been sealed.  The home is 22 years old, two story and 2775 sq ft of living space and just had the house inspection completed (planning on purchasing the home) and there is no leaking or evidence of leaks.  I would appreciate your responses.

Thank you!
Roberto
The cost of sealing a roof with a quality sealant is about $2.50 to $3.00 psf.  The quality of the sealants varies a lot.  There are cheap sealants that some contractors will slap on which are only good for 3-4 years.  You should get 6-8 years using the better quality. 

I suspect that the roof had been sealed originally as that is normal practice.  Concrete is porous and if it is not sealed on a regular basis the water infiltrates into cement and the re-bar will begin to rust and expand causing oxide jacking and blowing chunks out of the concrete.  Sealing is not about preventing leaks as much as it is about maintaining the integrity of the roof.