Malaria tablets and A good Travel clinic in Nairobi

Hi there,

I have two questions/perhaps three

I am coming to Nairobi in a week and a bit.

My nurse tells me I need to get my third dosage of HEP B and Rabies in Nairobi. I have found the centre for tropical and travel medicine. Are there any other good travel ciinics in Nairobi. i was trying to source  a ISTM clinic..

Secondly, I am getting a bit confused whether to get malaria tabs in Nairobi or to not bother. (so just for outside nairobi and around)

Malaria tabs have a nasty habit of upsetting your stomach, this being a very common issue. Mine ended up in the bin after two days.
Anti mosquito creams mean you don't get bitten - far better and no need to be within dashing range of a toilet.

Hello,  you could try this place:

http://www.cttm-kenya.com/

I understand that you are aware of this place.  There aren't travel clinics here in the same way that you have them in the west.  You may have to pay for a consultation.

UK travel clinics really go overboard with their advice......probably to avoid being sued.

Regarding malaria prophylaxis; for longer stays, they are probably not a good idea.  Here, we tend to have medication to treat malaria symptoms.  Prophylaxis can be obtained over the counter at most pharmacies, say for a visit to the coast, or Lake Victoria.  I would avoid mefloquine (Lariam), due to the side effects it can produce.  As Nairobi is around 6000 ft above sea level, malaria is not as common as at the coast.  Conservative measures, such as closing doors/windows at dusk, long sleeved clothes for the evening and use of a mosquito net, are recommended.

Rabies; not sure why you have been vaccinated.  Unless you are working with wildlife, this vaccination is pointless.

Hep B;  You should have been vaccinated for Hep A.  More likely that you would contract this.  Depends what you will be doing once you are here.  But if you are careful, you can avoid contracting this.

By the way: Apart from Hep B, which was a requirement in connection with my old job, neither my family or I have had any of the above vaccinations and remain quite healthy 12 years down the line.

If you travel out of Kenya, to Tanzania, or South Africa, for example, you will need a yellow fever vaccination.  You must get this at least 10 days prior to travel.  Go to Nairobi City Hall, or Port Health at Jomo Kenyatta International for this.

Consider having a Tetanus booster, especially if you do gardening!

thank you for all your advice. yes i believe perhaps they were trying to make a few bob for me with the rabies. We will be visiting neighbouring countries such as: uganda, ethiopia, and tanzania , zanzibar .

In that case you should have the yellow fever vaccination. You will not be permitted to travel across the border without it.  I understand that it's about £60 there.  It's considerably cheaper in Kenya, at the places I mentioned - about Ksh 2500 if II recall correctly.