Online business visa requirements

Hey Everyone,

I'm heading to San Jose del Cabo next month to stay for 3 months and while there I would like run an online business. I'm a UK citizen but at the moment I have a work permit for Canada and am living in Vancouver. I started the business in Vancouver but there's no physical base and it's run through a mix of Etsy and Amazon. I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not I would need a work permit or just a tourist visa while in Mexico?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi,

You do not need a work permit. You can come down as a tourist.
You can stay here for up to 6 months.

Excellent thanks so much!

My accountant told me that provided no part of your business activity is actually conducted in Mexico, you don't need a work permit or business license. For instance, if you ship physical products from Mexico, you would need one. If you're offering an online service, such as consulting, and payments are received at a bank outside of Mexico (or PayPal), you wouldn't. If, however, you bill via PayPal, but then transfer those funds into a bank in Mexico, you're in a gray area... where the authorities could easily say that you're receiving payments here... in which case, you'd need a work permit and business license.

That's great thanks so much! It definitely clears things up, thanks!