Cyprus Residence Application MEU1

Hello All

My partner and I are planning a move to Cyprus later this year.

I'm hoping someone can help, or signpost us to someone who might know the answer to an item we need to sort for the Residence Application.

In the guidance (on the Civil Registry and Migration Department website) it comments:

2.3 If the purpose of residence in the Republic of Cyprus is different from above (ie. not working)
(A) Fixed or sufficient income from work outside the Republic; or
(B) Fixed or sufficient income from other legal sources; or
(C) Adequate deposits with financial institutions in the Republic or abroad;

We will not be working (and are not retired) so we need to find out:

1. What is the minimum amount of income per year?
2. What is the minimum amount of deposits in financial institutions?

We may opt to do some work - but not in the first instance, so need to find out about the income/savings items.

Thanking you in advance


In answer to your quesry am sure i havealready answered this in a previous enquiry of yours

However here it is again

Category F:
Persons who possess and have fully and freely at their disposal a secured annual income, high enough to give them a decent living in Cyprus, without having to engage in any business, trade or profession. The annual income required should be at least CY�5,600  (approx €9600) for a single applicant and moreover at least CY�2,700 (approx €4600)  for every dependent person, but the Immigration Control Board may demand additional amounts as necessary. Most applicants come under this Category, the majority of them being pensioners or retired persons. NOTE- THEYRE NOT TOO STRICT IN THIS

For the granting of an immigration permit (ARC) application is submitted on form M.67 to the Civil Registry and Migration Department directly or through the District Aliens and Immigration Branches of the Police. The application should be accompanied by the appropriate documents, depending on the Category for which it is submitted.

Applications for Category F which are the most usual should be accompanied by the original documents regarding the income of the applicants. Applicants who are abroad may submit an application directly to Cyprus, as stated above or through the local Consular Authorities of the Republic of Cyprus. The applications are examined by the Immigration Control Board which submits a relevant suggestion to the Minister of the Interior for a decision to be taken. NOTE -go to the immigration offiCe make an appointment  = take your passport and lease with you to get the appointment = some time later (upto 6 weeks)  they wull at this time give you a list of the documents you need to have for the application do and take two copies of everything

The fees for the granting of immigration permit amount to €20 each for the Alien Regsitration Cert and are paid against a receipt following the approval of the application and before the issue of the cert.

As long as you have enough funds to support yourself  - and can prove it then all should be fine  - funds in the bank are helpful but i wouldnt be telling  them too much - its nice to have a good sum in the bank but its not essential - theyre more concerned about your ability to support yourself without any state aid and i guarantee you wont get any of that

as an EU national you have the right to come and live work or retire here indefinitely (well currently) . nobody knows what will happen when brexit occurs.

you can come here with your EU passport and need to register for ARC within 4 months if it is your intention to reside here for longer  than that.

No permits for work are required as an EU National  - currently

Be sure that you have healthcare cover though as nothing is free here unless you are on state pension

This is a requirement of ARC application so you must have it  - NOTE an EHIC will not cut it - and is not acceptable - we opted for private healthcare initially until we knew what was available = it proved very expensive  but then we found a healthcare policy that is designed to satisfy the immigration dept and is only €185 per person per yr. Its limited in its cover but does allow you to be covered and gets you past the immigration hurdle

Thank you Toon -

my email was a follow on to an earlier email (that you kindly replied to) - I did look into this and found out that the Category F item relates to non-EU nationals

for EU nationals - it looks as if there may a different requirement for proof of self-sufficiency, but I cannot find the details on any website

I will email the Cypriot Immigration Department again - I tried a couple of weeks ago but no reply as yet - I'm keen to have the right information so we can be clear on the proof of self-sufficiency.

Appreciate you replying on this.

you will be asked to prove you can support yourself as an EU national

I suggest that as you dont intend to to work immediately or full time then you use the figures as a guide … ments.html

However I would say they're not too strict on EU nationals as long as you can prove that you are not to be a burden to the republic-  in reality it would be hard for them to disprove anything you tell them and show as they dont ask for proof of what your outgoings are... you could be living in a tent or at a friends house... and living very frugally and cheaply   - i know people who came here with nothing, no job or cash in the bank -  and they were fine.

remember you have four months to apply

the EU side of the Immigration dept page 

Cyprus residence and work permit for EU citizens
Nationals from EU Member States have the right to enter Cyprus by simply showing a valid EU passport or ID Card without having to register upon arrival. If there is an intention to stay for more than three months (and / or take up employment), then they have to: - NOTE in reality its four months
Apply within eight (8) days of their arrival for an Alien Registration Certificate (ARC), at the local Immigration Branch of the Police (issued automatically for monitoring purposes) and pay the relevant fee (CY�20)

NOTE not strict on this at all.

Apply for a social insurance number securing employment in Cyprus.
Apply for a residence permit (the application must be submitted before the expiration of this 3-month period to the Civil Registration and Migration Department, through the local Immigration Branch of the Police). The said residence permit is issued within six months from the date of application and the submission of the required documents by the applicant (please note that a fine is imposed in case of non-compliance).

NOTE the ARC is issued the same day as the application interview

NOTE theyre not very good at enforcing things so dont put pressure on yourself.

Necessary documents required when applying for a residence permit

1....Valid passport or Identity Card

2....The document of Engagement of Employment (forming part of the application) stamped by the Labour Department, showing the code of economic activity of the employer.

3....The application and renewal fees for the mentioned residence permit for an EU national and to the members of the family, are €20 per perosn

It should be noted that the conclusion of formalities for acquiring a residence permit is not an obstacle to the immediate commencement of employment. Interested applicants can get the application forms from the Civil Registry and Migration Department, Ministry of Interior and from the local Immigration Branch of the Police.

When the residence permit is renewed for the first time, the period of residence permit can be restricted to one year, if the holder continues to be involuntarily unemployed for more than twelve consecutive months. After the expiration of this 1-year period, the permit cannot be renewed, if the holder is still unemployed.

The residence permit for employment purposes is valid for a 5-year period and is not withdrawn solely on grounds that he/she is temporarily incapable of employment as a result of illness or accident or if he/she is unintentionally unemployed as certified by the Department of Labour.

A temporary residence permit for employment purposes, can be limited to the expected period of employment in the following cases:

For a period of employment exceeding 3 months but not exceeding a year or when a person is working for a person providing services in the Republic.
For seasonal employment exceeding 3 months, except for the cases where no permit is required (article 10 of N.92(I)/2003).
The members of the family of a European national, have to right to exercise an employed or self-employed activity in the Republic of Cyprus. This permit should be reviewed after a period of two years from the date of issue.

In case nationals of EU Member States wish to pursue a profession that is regulated in Cyprus such as lawyer, medical doctor, accountant, engineer, electrician etc, by legislation determining the specific necessary qualifications and the procedure for acquiring the right to pursue the profession, then the person concerned should contact the competent body responsible to receive and examine applications for the specific profession to acquire the relevant permit, the same way that exists for the Cypriot nationals.

A fine is imposed in the case of non-compliance (Law N92(I)/2003) and specifically a fine of CY�500 to any employer employing a European national without a residence permit as well as to a European national working in Cyprus without the said permit.

NOTE virtually unenforcible - there are thousands of people here and been here for years without  their yellow slips (ARCs)

Make sure you have healthcare cover as that is essential and you wont get the ARC without it

and take two copies of everything  on the list of documents they give you

good luck

Thank you for the information and your time in replying, this is really helpful
Will take this on board as we plan our next steps :-)

good luck

We have recently arrived in Cyprus and need to do our Alien Registration. Could you tell me which company does the €185 healthcare policy please Toon, that sounds like it could be a good option.

Also does anyone have the address of the office where we should go to do the ARC, we are in the Coral Bay area. Should we go to the Peyia Police Station or is there a large Immigration Office in the centre of Paphos?

sure Anytime Insurance and also status Insurance (Tracey Cannon facebook)

the immigration office is in paphos

send me a pm and i wll send you a map as it tricky to find,32.4263161,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x14e70661029485e3:0x4a22b7c253427c39!8m2!3d34.780615!4d32.4285048

copy and paste the link into your browser

Thanks for that Toon.  :top:  I'll pass by at the start of next week when my other half gets back.

I had a look at the Anytime Insurance website, it's only 175 euros now for their Immigration Medical Insurance, even better. And their office is just along the road from the Aliens and Immigration Unit, very handy indeed, two birds with one stone  :)

Thanks for all this info Toon.  I have an old "Green Slip" Cat F Permanent Residence and have not worked since arriving some 20 years ago but am considering doing a little work.  Can I work in Cyprus now that Cyprus is a member of the EU and, if so, would I need a work permit?

if you are an EU national you do not need a work permit period

Thank you indeed Toon; that's set my mind at rest as I was rather concerned.  I am a UK national so, at least for the moment, "EU".......

BTW,  BHC has recomended that all those Brits who hold "old" Permanent Residence (Green Slip and passport stamp) should change to MEU3 BUT Immmigration dept disagrees stating that "you already have the strongest residence status"  and, further suggests that If I really wanted to change, they won't exchange the Green Slip/Brown Book for MEU3 but I would have to start from scratch and go through the process to get  an MEU1 first.  Do you have any knowledge of this please?

Its easy my friend - - we did ours over three years ago and its so easy go to the immigration dept with your passport, make the appointment, the actual interview will be made for a few weeks later - they will give you a list of things you need to provide when you make the appointment.... which will be something like passport, ( id take your existing docs too) birth certs, marriage and divorce certs if appropriate, evidence of your income that supports you if you dont work, or payslips if you do - also you will need to provide evidence of healthcare cover. all docs need to be copied twice and taken with you  - so you will have the original plus two copies.. if in doubt about whether any documents are needed take them anyway - best to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

oh and €20 per application

Thanks indeed Toon.  BTW, what is the advantage of getting an MEU3 over the "old" green PR?

i dont really know that there is any advantages to be honest in having either one

Thaks again Sir; most grateful.

TBH ive never really had to produce it for much so fail to see its real value and once youve got it you must take good care of as you will not ever get another one = you cant even change the address on it when you move......

Hi - have browsed through this interesting information - can I ask must all these details required for the residency be supplied in Greek? Are all official forms in Greek - which everyone i.e. expats - knows? Also are tax forms, for example, also in Greek along with any interviews required with government officers?

simply.... no..... they are in english...... for the residency applications other official forma can be expected in greek - - Tax forms are also supplied in english.

Many government officials speak english  -so it shouldnt be a massive problem but dont expect that there wont be any at all

Many thanks!

New topic