Considering the big move....

Hey, first time poster here, my name is Rick, from Beautiful FAR Northern California.  The very top of the Greater Sacramento Valley, Redding, CA.  Where everything is not concrete and asphalt.   Anyway, I read all these articles on "How to survive PR on $1200 a month"  And I have to wonder, I get by here now, (with a room mate) on a little less than $1000 a month.  I'm thinking a guy can live a simpler life than your $1200 guy and get along pretty good.  But I don't find much information about it.   I'm NOT the apartment downtown guy, I want a little farm type home, where I can raise chickens, maybe hogs or a cow or two.  Grow my own fruits and vegetables, still be close enough to the water to go fishing or   just splashing anytime I want.  How unreasonable is that?  I'm looking to go somewhere on the western quarter of the island, roughly.  Any advice?   Thanks all...

Have you visited Puerto Rico?  You need to come here and look around.  Stay at an AirBNB, rent a car, and drive around. for a couple of weeks. There are some hidden pockets outside of the tourist areas that might be perfect, such as Punta Santiago, Naguabo, Buena Vista and Salinas.  Lovely towns right on the water on the east coast and the south coast.   There is fishing and many people have chickens.

Hey Rick,
Welcome to the forum.
While possible, making it on 1200 is a bit hard and here is why:
1) likely you will spend 350-500 in rent. You can go lower but now you will likely need to rent a room at somebody's house.
2) Electricity is expensive count on .24 cents per kilowatt hour, so you have to be careful with the lights and only use air conditioner rarely.
3) There is a 12% unemployment so it is hard to find a job and you will likely need Spanish in order to get a job.
4) You are going to need a car which means gas and occasional car repairs and maintenance
5) First you need to get the animals to raise so that is an expense
6) trees take several years to grow before they bear fruit

You need to make a budget and we can help you fill in the likely numbers, then you will see how possible it is. Obviously the roommate part can make a difference as you two can split expenses but one of you two can also make additional expenses.

There are small homes with 1 or two bedrooms in the country side where you can grow animals and food but you are going to need Spanish to get by. As the bird flies you can never be more than 18 miles from the coast since the island is 35 miles wide, but by woundy road you are talking 2 to 3 times that.

You can fish in the sea, or rivers in some areas and there could be a lake close to you. getting to PR, first and last rent, transportation, buying the animals, getting some cheap furniture will all hit your budget at first so be prepared.

Budget, budget, budget, we can help you fill the numbers but you need be realistic.

You can make it on $1200 or maybe less( my sister in law make it with less) but as mentioned, you need to do your homework. If yoy expect to rent a property with ac, close to everything, it will cost more. Transportation is another issue, you can get by with a small older vehicle or even a scooter but if you are thinking a big car, new car it will cost more to live. Public transportation is non reliable and in some places non existent, so you need to consider it as well.
Do your homework, come visit and spend some time looking around the areas mentioned. That way you will be able to make an educated decision.

I am on social security, so my income is stable, about $1000 a month.
I do hope to make this move with at least one other person, so expenses
would be less.  As far as housing, I'm looking into USDA home loans.  I am
qualified for a small amount, but hopeful  of working it into something
adequate.  Like I said, I get by here fairly well, I know how to make things
last, I sometimes barter for things I need, or trade work.  As far as a vehicle,
I would like to bring my own, but a little bit of research tells me that can be quite expensive.

Yes it is expensive to bring a car. About 1200 if you take it to the port more if somebody has to pick it up and drive it across states. Once it get here you have to pay import taxes and they don't use bluebook value, they use their own tables. Depending on the value you are looking at 1-5k on average to get it off the port.

I will not advise to bring a car, you will be able to find a better deal locally than what it's going to cost you to ship it.
If you are willing to live modestly and shop smart, you should not have any problems living on that budget.
You may want to find out about the USDA loan property requirements. Not all properties will qualify.

You may qualify for MiSalud, the local equivalent of Medicaid

Yes Sir, I'm good at shopping smart and budgeting, I have every expectation of plying my skills there as well.  I've read quite a bit on USDA, I would however in the end wind up relying on a local realtor who is trained in USDA loans.  I've read the horror stories of people bringing their own vehicles.

Now that is something new Rey,  I have not heard of MiSalud, you say it's comparable to Medicaid, what are the basic requirements to qualify?

I dont have the numbers but basically is based on income. It is a health service for the poor. Is 1k low enough to qualify? I don't know but there is a good chance.

Anyone know a GOOD west coast realtor who handles USDA home loans?