Are we being unrealistic?

Hi all. We are a couple in our 40s from the UK who last year packed in our jobs, sold our house to go travelling. We are now back in the uk but are now keen to settle in Spain. We hope to set up a small business preferably in the Canaries or mainland Spain or find work if we can (although concerned that employees tend to want younger people). We don't mind which region, as long as it's near the coast so are very flexible. We are under no illusions that this will be easy especially with Spain having such a high unemployment rate and if we are looking for our own business, we need to ensure it's the right business in the right place. We plan to go out and have a look around in a few weeks as this is better than trying to find something over the internet! Are we being completely unrealistic folks ? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

I've never done this and doubt if I've got the guts for it.  That said, many have done what you're contemplating; some were successful, some crashed and burned.  Just make sure you have somewhere to go if it's the latter.

Best of luck with your venture. :)

Thank you so much. Yes we are currently staying with hubbies parents temporarily and are always welcome there so won't be homeless. We have enough funds to last a while too. We are determined though to make this work, it's been our dream for nearly 20 years !

If you've been dreaming this for 20 years I say 'Do It!'.  I left my job just over a year ago and am about to embark on a long-term trip to Spain with a view to moving there permanently when I've found the right spot.  Never been happier :)  Would have done it sooner but for family commitments.  Wishing you every success and encouragement X

Thank you. Sounds similar to us. We would have done it sooner but had family responsibilities. All the best in your adventure too. I always think it's better to have tried than not!