Safety in Nairobi for expat women and safer places to live.

Hi there,

i am coming with my friend (another woman) to move to Nairobi.
I wondered how crime towards women is, can you be independent and walk around areas like Killimani as a woman on your own, or with other women. What is the frequency of crimes towards expats and what do you advise about personal safety in Nairobi. Is a car a good idea? Or just a bold statement that will invite carjacking.

When looking at neighbourhoods we cant decide if nearer the centre is best or on the outskirts of Nairobi.  Killimani, Lavington are just some areas mentioned that people live but I have researched and found that there have been occasions of people on motorbikes mugging people etc..What do you all think of Karen (has it changed or is it still more of a wealthy colonial town- if so its not really our vibe) but we just generally want to know the best areas to live and the places to avoid.

How many of you have experienced crime and what has it normally entailed?

Katie

Hello, I am unsure if there are any firm statistics relating to crime specifically against expats.  One or two expats have reported having been victims of crime, on this site, but these seem to be in the minority.  As to crime against women, all I can say is that my wife and daughter (not expats) are quite happy to drive in Nairobi on their own. 

Regarding places to live; both Kilimani and Lavington are good areas.  Karen is also a good area, but some distance outside the city. It's a major expat area.  Also consider Westlands.  The majority of expats would typically live in an apartment or property set within a fenced or walled compound, often with security. 

When out and about, you need to be careful about where and when you walk. Many roads don't have pavements (sidewalks), so walking on the edge of the road isn't unusual.  As far as opportunist thieves on motorbikes are concerned, yes these do exist, but not just in Nairobi.  I wouldn't say it's very common though - there are motorbikes everywhere.  Most are innocent taxis, some are not.  However as long as you don't obviously carry valuables, keep your bag on the side away from the road and look as if you're aware of your environment (not engrossed in your phone, for example), then the thief is likely not to target you.  Definitely DO NOT walk around streets at night.

With regard to having a car; car jackings aren't all that common. They are quite often planned, so people with a routine can be waylaid at their gate and often after dark, for example.  Often the person might have been followed, so if you are aware of this happening to you, head for somewhere public, or a police station.  I don't think that owning a car is an automatic attraction to car jackers. The general advice when in a vehicle is to keep doors locked and windows not open enough for someone to reach in.  The most common vehicle crime is opportunist snatching of items from vehicles and the theft of vehicle parts ( mirrors, lights etc) while vehicles are stuck in traffic....more likely to be a problem if you have a common car.

As with many other places, there is much you can personally do to reduce your chances of being a victim of crime.

The problem with doing research from another country, is that you will get a very biased negative view from people eager to say how bad it was for them. 

You also need to consider the logistics of living here as a foreigner ( if you haven't, for example, got a job offer).  Kenya is not a particularly easy country in which to settle long term, due to the immigration rules.  There are quite a few threads on the issues around gaining employment on the forum.

If you haven't been here before, it's a good idea to come for two or three months and check things out........see if you like it.