Moving to Al Khobar

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone had realistic views on want to take and not take.

My husband is moving to Al Khobar in 2 weeks and i will be following in a few months.

We had decided to get rid of everything and start again over there but have heard lots of people do take things with them i have hoards of books. Can i take them is it worth it? How easy it to get English written books?

Should i be thinking of taking other things?

P.s. i know about the restrictions is it just religious content though please?

Thanks

yes please help us on the books front as i love reading terry pratchett books and if i can't bring them over then i have no reading material lol.

also we're not too sure about how strict the music is as we lice the group "bare naked ladies" which do not involve any ladies at all and are certainly not naked lol

books: religious ones.. thats the only one that you might have to give up but I do know that you can get it in too. if its only a Bible. Otherwise I think you will get plenty of books here. Music. cds, they are not too fond of a lot of cds lying around in your possession. I would suggest dump them all into a hard disc, or a  laptop and then bring that along.

books are ok, the only issue is the weight (extra baggage costs are ridiculousy high)!!

as long the books dont have pics of scantily clad men/women you should be OK. I didn't bother bringing many books with me cos i had heard about the jarir book-store where you can find quite a few varieties. Am probably not into books as much as you two so i can't say much about the availability of works of your favourite authors.

I'd say, make a list of your "can't live without" books (subject to above criteria) and leave the rest behind.

about music, when i landed here for the first time (in riyadh) all my music CDs (mostly rock/metal) were confiscated at the airport for checking and out of 20 odd CDs, 3 were retained by the authorities cos of skin showed in some vids. I've heard that there is not much problem at the Dammam airport however, but have no 1st hand experience on that.

cheers

I brought 5 boxes of books and DVDs from the UK and had no problems, but then we had all of our stuff shipped out. I've also bought books in Dubai and brought them back in my cabin baggage with no problems!

I too have an extensive collection of Terry Pratchetts so I don't think you will have any problems :)

Thanks guys will be getting my books and bits shipped out when we are sorted.

Is there anything you think i should be getting shipped out other than the bist and pieces of special family memorabilia and sanity saving books?

you can get most things out here, unless you are emptying your house in the UK comletely and have nowhere to store it (like us!)I would hold off on shipping out any heavy bits of furniture etc. Our house is fully furnished so the small bits that we did bring, we don't actually need!
I only really need my clothes, books a few kitchen bits and the kids toys etc. :)

yep we are emptying our house will sell or give away what i dont need just want to bring with me the bits i can or need.
The price of storage is pretty high but have the added bonus of the eldest moving into somewhere on her own so she will have some things x