Do you speak Uzbek?

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Uzbek is essential for a successful integration in Uzbekistan. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Uzbek? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Uzbekistan?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Uzbekistanis?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello Priscilla,

It is received as good gesture from the people of Uzbekistan if you speak in their local language "Uzbek". But is not compulsory for the foreigners to speak Uzbek, they can speak and communicate with them in Russian as well as majority of Uzbek people can speak and understand Russian language. There is less number of people who can speak and understand English but they are easily found across the Tashkent city (Capital of Uzbekistan).

I can not speak  Uzbek. I can speak and understand Russian but not expert in this language as well. I was communicating with locals in Russian. I learnt Russian in Tajikistan where I hired a Russian teacher who helped me alot in learning basics of Russian. Later I learnt Russian during my daily communication with people.

It is very easy to communicate with Uzbek people in Russian majority of them know it very well.