Speaking Luganda in Uganda

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Luganda is essential for a successful integration in Uganda. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Luganda? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Uganda?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Ugandans?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

It all depends on ur business or work u r doing.

well it depends on the business one is doing and the city/town it's located in. However, for matters of better communication and having a good relationship with the locals, it's advisable that one should learn the native language.

hi there,

no I do not speak Luganda but have surrounded myself with competent, trustworthy staff members who do speak the language.

With a lot of respect and a well placed bit of humor, you get a long way.

regards,
Peter

well, it is always good to know the local language. In my case, i am willing to learn but i haven't found anyone with patience or time to teach me. :)

Having to know Luganda - or any of the other languages of Uganda - depends on what brings you here, which businesses you have. For medical personnel it is very useful to speak the local language. Among the business people in and around Kampala, English or the Ugandan version of English is widely spoken. English and Luganda are the national languages, but not spoken in all corners of the country.
I've been living in and out of Uganda for many years and apart from a few words never managed to learn Luganda, Ryankole or Luo/Acholi. Yet I am well integrated in the Ugandan society, live among the Ugandans and rarely go to places where mzungu's gather. I know how to greet and say 'thank you' in the main languages of Uganda.
Integration in a different society is not only about speaking the same language, but also about having respect for the differences in values, cultures and habits of your host country.

Luganda is a very complicated language to learn and to teach. It is more of a oral / verbal language then a written one. Rules of grammar are not very clear. Ask ten Baganda to translate a simple sentence into Luganda in writng and you will get 12 answers and a long discussion afterwards.