Do you speak American?

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking English is essential for a successful integration in the USA. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Where can one attend a language course in the USA? What are the main differences between American English and English spoken in the UK?

Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Americans?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Yes,
I do.
But day by day I am also learning how to speak with native English speakers.Especially southern accent.
Thank you.

Few more important things I can share with all of you guys.
I came here from another part of the world (Bangladesh) where American English is not widely spoken (only they exist in Hollywood movies).So, generally, we learn English in British terms with grammar. Our education system, curriculum everywhere British English what we've learned.
This is way far difference UK English and USA English. Specially pronunciation the same word, and using different words, vocabulary, and idioms. Also, I have had a hard time talking in southern part of United States (also called Bible belt states) people. Talking wth black people (African-American) also sort of struggling although they have blackcent (black accent). They do judge you if you've exotic accent in your conversation.

welcome

Well, English is a vehicular language for many non English speaking people and nations around the world.
It has become a dominant language in international and multinational relations. There are many English dialects, Royal English, American English, Australian English and also mixtures like Denglish for German speaking, Spanglish for Spanish speaking, etc.
I started learning English in the Technical University in Bulgaria doing my bachelors and later in advanced classes on my first job at an Automation Lab due to the need to work with S/W and H/W products in English.
Later on, when I immigrated in the US, I was privileged to speak quite well English. When I found a job in Silicon Valley in the high-tech industry, English was a must. After a few years, I decided to get a masters in engineering management at Santa Clara University and had to pass a TOEFL exam in English proficiency.
After graduating working and studying, it was beneficial for me to polish my professional English and get a better jobs later in my career. Five years ago, I started flying planes for a private pilot license and English  was extremely critical for safe operating an aircraft in one of the busiest airspaces in the world. Now, I am volunteering in professional interpreting from/to English, Bulgarian, Russian and German in hospitals and courts. The more languages you know the better. What a wonderful world, isn't it:))

yes, there are differences between British English and American English but in general they will try and understand even when you spreak British English. There might be problems when  talking about car parts and I found that they do not seem to understand what you mean by queuing in traffic (waiting in line in American) and other expressions. If you have an accent in general most are interested in where you come from and i found that even understanding down south dialects are not more difficult than for some people to understand people from Yorkshire or from some area's in London.

Speaking English is important regardless where one lives, it's the international language of commerce, trade and now supplanted French as the language of choice in international diplomacy circles....

And no!!  It's a fallacy that speaking English in of its own a guarantee of integration into any English speaking society....

Google English language accredited schools in US...

Best,

Yes.
English language is essential in USA, for a better understanding of the people living in the country. So, whoever that want to go to USA must know how to speak English very well.

Yes I do. I can speak Spanish too, to civilized levels. I would preferably be better of integrating into a place where Spanish and English communities intersect. I am not sure there's a place like that so far. Any ideas?

Would you please sharing me your learning English method? I think your experience will be very useful for me.

I have a firm background in British English. I have lately had to learn the american accent as a result of interaction with family and friends over there. Its basically about a little variance in the accent and perhaps a few words.

Thank you very much for your sharing. Would you learn American accent over any English teaching website?

I think its important to have command of the language. Well as time goes by, during your stay in the US, you should be able to acquire the accent.

No, the accents are particular to the state you plan to be in. 

For instance:
Texans speak Tex-Mex (which is a English and Spanish mixture with a southern drawl). 

Arkansas speaks with a strong country drawl.

Chicago is like the french (dropping letters here and there)  but without the accent.

I am from Indiana.  I do not here the  accent of my tongue but I know the people in the big city speak very differently than me.

But if you just learn English everything else will come.  You get adjusted quickly to your environment through immersion.

The breadth of people here speak English and Spanish.  But there are communities in each city (Birds of a feather tend to flock together) so locate your community by searching your community by state (i.e. egyptian community in new york)

:-)

I can also spell "hear" correctly.  Downfall of texting quickly lol. 

I also want to say that American and British English is technically the same  less the accent and idiomatic expressions.  I understand Brits well despite the accent. I don't understand some of their slang....only what has been already introduced into our conversational speech.  English is English no matter where you go.