Speaking Spanish in Peru

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Spanish is essential for a successful integration in Peru. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Spanish? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Peru?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Peruvians?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

If you want to stay in Peru and navigate through all the paperwork and various offices then one of you needs to be fluent in Spanish. My Spanish is fairly basic after 4 years here - my wife speaks fluent Spanish. I deal with the paperwork and she deals with the officials. If you're visiting the tourist areas then you could be OK in the more expensive restaurants and hotels - though no guarantees there either. I haven't been to a language school so cannot comment on that.

Speaking spanish is inportant in Peru. I took spanish classes in icpna miraflores, now i ve improved alot and find communication easier. Before then, it was difficult for me