Speaking Arabic in Oman

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Arabic is essential for a successful integration in Oman. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Arabic? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Oman?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Omanis?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Yes I am speaking Arabic in oman

100% agreed. There isn't any other way around it.
The sad thing is that I have come across so many expats; who don't know the basics of the Arabic Language; they just don't make the effort; even though they have been here for so many years. Then there is another group which does know how to speak in Arabic but they speak expats' Arabic. I guess because they try to learn from their fellow expats but not from the locals. But at least they have made the effort.

No , many of people understand English.

sorry ...i dont no arabic.

Hi it's correct that Arabic is very important here in Oman. Main reason is many omani people are not comfortable with English and it's difficult to communicate with them in other languages. And more advantage is if you are speaking Arabic you will definitely get more respect from omani people. It's not necessary to read but if you could able to speak in Arabic it's enough.

For myself it's my mother language ,,, I have no issue with that, actually it make it easy for me and deal with difficult situation...
Arabic is not an easy language, so you are dreaming if you think you can speak it easy,, of course you can learn the daily common words or whatever you need to communicate your need, and in the streets you can see many communication methods similar like Arabic developed by the general worker and labor its mix of Arabic, English and Hindi, it's not real Arabic but it's ok as long the people understand your message ,,,, I found it very funny as the beginning and I refuse to use it then I realize its common tool and some time I have to deal with people in the street, and they don't know either Arabic nor English
If you want to learn real Arabic there is some professional institutes in Oman, they have professional teachers for teaching Arabic for non Arabic speaker,,,,

Polyglot Institute

polyglot-institute.com/

open @
1- WATTAYAH – Tamimah Complex
2- Al KHOUD – 1st Floor, Mazoon Street
3- SOHAR – 2nd Floor , Al Sawari Building

Without speaking Arabic we can live in oman. Most of them knows English or Hindi. If you know either English or Hindi, We can live better in Oman. :) and afterall Omanies are pretty good. They will help you if you need something, If you cant understand something.

of course, No doubt after English language arabic is a 2nd speaking language.

yes i do speak arabic, the first thing i did after steping in Oman started learning arabic (speaking) its an easy language why am saying so, coz i myself learned in 30 days time through my Omani assitant ..so why not others  !!!  :):) Its a manadatory  that we should be able to understand their local language otherwise its affects profession wise and as well personally in many ways ..

there are many centers to teach arabic language too  (conducting weekend courses)

learning a foreign language is an added assert cant deny it  :)

I just know important words and few phrases of Arabic, which I learnt from some books especially designed to learn Arabic.

As per me our body language is more important than the spoken language. Our communication is constituted with only 20% of spoken language and 80% of body language.

I do agree language should b known however few important words and phrases should do the trick. And you would gradually grab hold of the language with practice and regular usage.

Hope my inputs would help. 😊

My mother tongue is Arabic and ready to tutor and teach Arabic.

Hi Priscilla
I don't know dis language bt by my personal experience not big issue bcuz here omani r tooo gud by nature n calm .bt really I want to learn dis language . :)

not much required mostly people understand english

Yes i speak Arabic , it's my second language.
Arabic isn't difficult language,one can learn it easily  with practice and daily communication .

Yes I can speak Arabic very well

Yes I speak arabic im from algeria and im integrated with omani people if you need any help im ready

It's always good you know the local language.  Only thing you have to make an effort for that.  At least if you know how to talk then you are lucky. People who are in sales interact with lot of local people and they learn fast.  100 % agree with you.

Hi Priscilla,

Unfortunately, I cannot converse in Arabic   but I can understand sometimes. It takes a while for one to recall similar phrases that are spoken.
I agree with you wholeheartedly when you mentioned language is an essential part of integration. That's why I think is important to befriend local people, not only to benefit from the language but also the true culture if Oman.

I have travelled widely and I found Omani are the friendliest and most hospitable people. People from Salalah are very calm and kind.  It is the perfect place to escape...

I hope this helps.
Ruby

yes I can speak Arabic

Arabic is beautiful, easy, rigid, mathmaticious and naturistic language, I think.

Arabic language is one of the  easiest language in the world . It is easy to learn quickly without knowing grammar . If we know 40 to 50 vocabulary we can manage our need from Omani .

Shweyya shweyya....sagair sagair...

Shukran,
KAMESH

It depends what your job is;If you work in sales ,in moles ,restu and the like you need to communicate in Arabic otherwise you need that only to talk to taxi or in the governmental departments,offices etc.

Where to learn Arabic  ? Either at language institutes or by special tutors. I could teach special lessons but I am a bit expensive

Hi,
     Yes little bit speak Arabic...most of the local people's are used speaks English hence expatriates are mostly using English for their conversation with everyone.p

No  Stoneworld ,this not true ;Only educated locals know English . It is like any other country ,my friend, the majority speak the tongue / mother language but you and me meet these people in the moles or a few public places and rarely need to converse that is why my answer to the question is again : It depends on what and where you work in Oman.

Sorry I do not speak Arabic, however I have been picking up some words from my office colleagues as well as reading numbers.  I much appreciate the people I do run into at government buildings, stores, etc. who speak English.  Schools back home are know requiring you to take an additional language for at least 1/2 a year.

hi,
im an arabic guy,
what is your major and your job?

Well, I have been in GCC for last 7 years now. Majorly in Qatar and now in Oman. In response, if I assess myself, I know a few basic lines to get me around, but I am by no means at even beginner level. The reason to this is the environment we are working and living in. My work place normally has employees which mostly are expats or locals who are highly educated and used to working with expats. Our interaction with Locals ranges between minimal to none.

On the Contrary, people who are working with the local community, quickly learn the language. Especially people who are in marketing or sales.

That's my two cents on the topic.