Speaking Arabic in Morocco

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Arabic is essential for a successful integration in Morocco. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Arabic? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Morocco?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Moroccans?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

hi,
i learned about 1/2 a year Darija, without a good success.
But i speak fluently French and english, i think you can get along with it. Plus, it is better, not to understand all the nonsense, people speak, as my husband (maroccan) says.
Try as a blond lady to speak Darija. The answers you will get are or in german or French.

Hi
Priscilla
I spoke Moroccan Arabic language.
And I spoke fluquently . Ok have a good day

Hi Priscilla , I speak Arabic ,French ,English and Moroccan dialect ....all fluently . However , I still get tough moments understanding the Moroccans edoecially when it comes to daily activities . The Moroccans are divided into three classes . The super wealthy class which you don't see . The servants  of the wealthy class which is a very snobish class : it only speak French . The bottom class is the poor one which I call the neglected or  the non existent class. The bad thing about the second class is that it undermine a every one that is nog from the same level . I have all the qualifications and thf education needed to get a job here in morocco but I did not get a single call : because I don't know any one where I applied . I have An experience of 18 years in manage
Ment from the USA . It is all listed on my resume and I did not get a single call . I moved my family and my kids from
USA to morocco because my wife wanted to be close to her family
.nothing is working right . I am going back to the USA and I will never come back
To this country which is actually my origin and where my ancestors are

Sorry to burst your bubble slassi 71 ...you have left u.s.a to go to Morocco, the situation at the moment with Donald trump...you will NOT gain entry back to u.s.a, I now have heard many stories of this happening right now to people, a man who has lived most of his life in u.s.a married an American woman, he from mid east, he returned recently to his home to see his family and is being refused entry back to u.s.a ...he has his wife, children, mortgage on a big house, good education and job all in u.s.a but he can't return , I know many stories of this going on now. Any muslim ...( so I presume you and your family are if from morocco ) ? Is not permitted to leave and return...you can thank Donald trump..I wish you well good luck

Hello priscila.. my name is gina..
im a filipina.. I speak english..arabic and basic french... im 4years in morocco...
I learn my arabic morocco from my workmates...
Ive been working with moroccans for 11months...in casablanca... and everytime I worked, I brought empty paper and pen with me and noting the words I learned..from them... well,most of the time,im asking new words..what good to them is that..they have an effort to teach me new words...and evwrytime I got memorize it, they are so proud and happy and opened thir hands again for another word... they are so helpful and nice to me....
well, its the matter of being interested of this language..and patient becaude its not easy..
IF YOU ARE,YOU WILL LEARN QUICK.. arabic morocco is harder  than arabic classic...

I resigned from my job in ct and gave away of the staff that I had . I kept a house and a car in myrtle beach South Carolina . I still have a small amount of mortgage to pay off the house . I was told that morocco has changed and that the opportunity of employment is equal but this is a lie a lie and shame on people that let the corruption happen . I have a dual citizenship USA/ morocco . I hope that trumps lack of responsibility cause a problem for me and others like me .

It's a shame you feel that way. But I am still residing in u.k at moment hoping to be in Morocco soon. I'm married to a moroccan man. You will know what you talk about as you have lived there and left to return, so you know what your talking about. I think to be Honest, most countries are same now and face a certain amount of hardship. I love morocco and its people, hospitable and friendly. My husband has mentioned to me life harder now though in Morocco than before. Harder to make ends meet. I do hope you can return to u.s.a if this your wish and continue your life there in peace. But try not and turn your back on your home and its people. You may need them one day. Peace be with you and yours, khouya. Thala frasek

You might be threatening. Don't put all your qualifications on a resume. The person across the desk might be intimidated from reception to the boss.

Also look online for foriegn companies. There are websites that focus on hiring foreigners to fill positions in Arab countries.

Also degrees from the West are valuable and not having one can hurt you.

Thanks . Have a nice day

I speak several dialects of Arabic, but Moroccan is not one of them. So, I speak Arabic until I hit an impasse and switch to French to be understood. Arabic is great to know, but French may be even more important for business and certainly for any legal dealings.

Hi there, i'm a local from Marrakesh
I am an English department student
It would be a pleasure to teach u dialect Arabic
Just drop me a message if u want to

Hello. It is true that surviving in Morocco not speaking Arabe is difficult. I personally don't speak Arabe but learned to communicate the basics is Moroccan dialect. It is not difficult actually and I learned with people around me, nit at school. However there are Arabic classes at the French language Institute in Casablanca and in other places as well.
Casablanca is challenging because people mostly do not speak English, but in Tourist cities like Marrakech, English, Spanish and French are not issues.

I hope I managed to help 😋

Hey,

When I came from another country to Morocco, I learned some of daily vocabulary to understand them  and ask all of my requests to the people. A few of the immigrants can speak english. The best and easiest way to communicate is in French or Dariija.
I recommend you to learn some of sentence in arabic and try to keep in touch with new people from here, too. For instance, through facebook, through internet etc..

Moreover, there are also arabic courses especially in Rabat,marrakesh, casablanca as well as in Tanger.
Be careful by choosing a city... A big city is little bit expensive but you have a huge opportunies such in small cities...

If you have any question, just text me back..

best regards,
Zehra

I totally agree that french is more useful..
In morocco but in europe...

I mean..not only in morocco bur eueope as well... if u speak french than moroccan arabic, it would be an advantage if u looking for a job....

exactly to speak french is an advantage for you..

Hi to you... momie
It maybe no sense for you to understand the nonsense words of moroccans but for me,it is important to know...I had experience many times they are saying rude things everywhere I  am..  but since I dont understand,I just smiled and even say "hello" to them.... because im expecting that it is nice words..but they laugh out loud because of my reply.. I feel embarrased and stupid...
so until then,I learned one thing. And it is
"to understand all these stuffs"
atleast I couldnt felt embarassed again...
so now that I learn, I know how to reply in a nice way...well..in morocco, living isnt that easy specially people.. sometimes u have to use you rude words for them to stop.... because if are always polite, it woudnt work...
Im sorry... but I just share my experience...

Yes,Arabic is my second language and i can easily communicate in Arabic,but some times it bother when daraji (local Moroccan language) get in involve :) that is an essential part being in Morocco.
regards

Hi,
I use a variety of resources ...
1)facebook(I write down every phrase and get a friend to translate)
2) Moroccan Arabic book
3) FREE online Darija manuel from the Peace Corps has to be the best resource
4) there are some Spanish and German FB groups that post free lessons

I am not fluent but I can communicate. I think it is important to learn sentences in the context you need.....for example.....the words you need to go shopping,the words  you need for directions, if you are a student  you will need basic conversation...if you are a mother..you need to be able to converse with other moms on *mom-topics*......decide who you will be speaking to the most and start learning sentences that will help you communicate.
I am  fluent in English and French so that helps a lot. I can communicate in Spanish and German and understand a little Italian  BUT usually Moroccans are  delighted when I try to communicate with them in their native tongue .  :)  It is really worth the effort if you plan on living in Morocco.

I was there 6 months
I only speak english

Its possible to get by only knowing english.
though you need help if need to do official stuff.
but everyday things english is fine.
but I am not most social person.

you will always find someone who knows a little english at least in major cities.

Hi  yes i speak Arabic fousha and dareja  too can comunicate french and english  i m planing to retired in Morrocco as a visite so often  fir ne its nice and tray to communicate with people tray and  undestabd their view be polite honest and get your opinion cross well to peoples  ive learned Arabic in Algeria as im born bread there but always read and learn something new everyday  i communucate with lots freind in Arabic cross europe too  kind regard Djamel

I only have English and my school french
I need Arabic P

No matter what country to get a job you need to know someone and be under forty

salam malaikam

wa alaikum slam
whats new

Gina you are doing well.  I admire you