Speaking Chewa in Malawi

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Chewa is essential for a successful integration in Malawi. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Chewa? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Malawi?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Malawians?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

It is important, but have often noticed that the Chewa speakers (locals) are quick to speak to non Chewa speakers in English making it difficult for a non speaker to learn Chewa quickly.
In my case my vernacular has many words in common with Chewa so it is easier to learn but the challenge above remains so I cannot learn fast.

Hi, most Malawians speak good enough English so it won't be a problem. Chichewa is easier to learn than Tumbuka, but Tumbuka is spoken far more, so I changed over... communication in Malawi is pretty straightforward. They like to hear you trying to speak their language, and it will bring a lot of laughs, but go for it...