Speaking Swahili in Kenya

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Swahili is essential for a successful integration in Kenya. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Swahili? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Kenya?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Kenyans?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I am not sure that I entirely agree that speaking Swahili is essential for successful integration.  One of the reasons is that English is widely taught and spoken, particularly in the capital (and is the official language of government). 

Also, for many Kenyans, Swahili is a second language (along with English).  For example; my wife is Kikuyu, so this is her first language, which she uses to talk to all her friends and family.  She will use English, or Swahili to talk to someone who doesn't understand Kikuyu, for example. 

I have never been good at picking up new languages (just don't seem to have an 'ear' for it) and even after so long here, I don't speak much Swahili, beyond the basics and get along fine, which is probably why my Swahili has only improved slowly - I have never been in a situation where I have had to wholly rely on it.  I can't say I am particularly proud of my ineptitude though!

I have met a few expats who have also not picked up much Swahili, so I am not alone.

There are plenty of courses, particularly for those on Nairobi, or Mombasa, teachers that can come to your house and so on.  There are often fliers on the notice boards in shopping malls, advertising this.

There are a large number of 'teach yourself' resources, such as books, software such as Rosetta Stone and audio courses such as Pimsleur.

It is important that you know the language especially greetings. English widely used but not all know English quite well.

Hi Priscilla

it is not necessarily so, for some of us who work in International organizations English and French are more important. The communities of various nationalities are also present and people rarely interact in Swahili.  It is there a better to have language.

Yes me also o have problem whit some people who  can't speak English only Swahili

I'm not speaking swahili but some times difficulty to talk whit some peoples

Not all Kenyans can speak Swahili - I know a few words but don't know the language too well.
Generally you can get by using English.

Learning Swahili made a BIG difference in my experience as an expat. I am African American and I moved to Nairobi in 2011. When I found out I would be moving I bought a Swahili book which also had a CD in it. I converted the CD to mp3s so I could listen while on planes & in taxis. Because I traveled a lot for work I got in a good deal of listening time in. I speak Japanese which has exactly the same pronunciation as Swahili and Kiswahili is the easiest language to learn according to the international translation societies.

I also ran into someone who was also from Texas and she knew an instructor so we took lessons together for a few months.  I quickly learned to read so I could read the newspaper but my ear was still slow. I would watch the 7pm news which is in Swahili and watch again at 9pm in English and pick up what I missed.

Once I could carry on a conversation, my ease of getting around improved, I got more respect and I've had more impact. I also appreciate learning it from a classically-trained teacher so I can speak appropriately in a place like Tanzania as well as Sheng in a place like Kibera.

Learning Swahili language is one of the easiest language t learn in the world and can take you a day t start communicating if you are keen and have passion t learn.There are colleges teaching different language courses and swahili is one of them.

I don't think it's easy at all........in terms of pronunciation, yes it's easy, as its spoken as written.  However, even the Swahili teacher at my Granddaughters school says that Swahili is a difficult language, due to the word order and all the different classes, prefixes and so on.

I understand that if you speak Japanese, Swahili is very easy and vice versa.

I just find languages difficult to pick up, ever since childhood.  I know enough to get around.  As for the respect aspect; as I live in a Kikuyu speaking area, not knowing much Swahili is neither here nor there. The respect comes when I speak Kikuyu!

Learning a language depends with the understanding of an individual,secondly the Tutor teaching the language the aids tool she or he is using and third,if you are living with the swahili community and you are learning it automatically you adopt it quickly and easily because its their daily communicating tool.

It's WAY easier than English with all the exceptions to rules and words that sound the same but mean something different or spelled three different ways but pronounced the same way :)

It's all a matter of perspective, Inspiremb.  When you are born and raised in an English speaking country, English doesn't seem difficult!

I struggled with French, Spanish and Latin at school. I have come to the conclusion that it's just the way the brain is wired!

I get far more respect from being married to a Kikuyu lady, then I ever have from speaking, or attempting to speak Kiswahili!

English is hard for everyone. It is one of the most inconsistent languages around. Congrats on marrying a Kenyan.

Learning languages later in life is more challenging. That's why I'm a strong proponent of exposing children to multiple languages early so their brains can develop the synapse connections

Hello,
Interesting topic!  Ironically I am living in Kenya for last 14 yrs and I know very little swahili :(

This year I have decided to learn this language. Personally I think it helps a lot if you know the local language. Especially connecting with the locals more so if you are running your own business.

Any suggestions for a good tutor?

Binny :)

The notice boards at Sarit Centre (ground floor) always had quite a number of language tutors advertising their services.

Hello All,
So I think I have managed to take my first successful step of finding a good tutor who will teach us swahili.

I am looking for a group of about five to six people.

The place is THE ART CENTRE on James Gichuru. Twice a week ,1.5 hour lesson each, 24 lessons in total , so about three months and we should be able to converse in Swahili ;)
It is Ksh 800 per lesson.

Interested people please write to me here and we shall liaise!

Until then,
cheers,
binny

Hello,

Please let me know the details, when and what times.

Kind Regards
Louisa

Sure Loiusa,
I shall keep you posted.

Regards,
Binny

Hey Louisa,

Greetings.

So we (my friend and myself) are starting our kswahili lessons next week onwards. Twice a week, Wednesday and Friday - 10AM to 11.30 AM. 800 Ksh per lesson and 24 lessons in total.
We will be paying for four lessons in advance.

WOuld you be interested to join us?

Regards,
Binny

Iv'e been studying Swahili for the last few months - there are so many free resources online, including audio and complete text books. I have always heard it was an easy language to learn even from Kenyans who grew up with it but I am finding it difficult! - maybe because of my age! I am conversational in Somali from my life experiences but I enjoy learning languages and am determined to learn Swahili and be at least conversational in it - able to handle the majority of interactions but fluent? I think I started too late!

I speak Zanzibari, Tanzania Mainland and Mombasa Swahili. All different intonation, but the best to grasp intricacies of the language. Have instructed a few expats and visiting students. In few weeks they speak much much better than Kenyan counterparts

Hi Binny,

So sorry for the late response I've been out of the loop!
Unfortunatley I'm unavailable for quite some time as I have had to travel back and forth.
Hope it's gooing well!

Kind regards
Louisa