Speaking French in Gabon

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking French is essential for a successful integration in Gabon. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak French? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Gabon?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Gaboneses?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Dear Priscilla,

Yes it certainly helps to speak French in Gabon because it is the official language.
I speak 5 languages (French, Dutch, Italian, English, Spanish and a bit of German) so integration was very easy for me.
But I alreafy mastered the language before moving here. I learnt it in school and in my polyglot family :-)
To learn the language you can check with the Institut Culturel in Libreville, at the schools or embassies or the Alliance Franco-Gabonaise in Port-Gentil.
Sometimes via other networks you can find private tutors. Some expat spouses also teach French.

Hope this answer helps you.

Yes i do speak French.

I learn from Friends and also from school but am completely english orientated. Leaning French in Gabon is nothing. it should not be a difficult task as the country is French and there are a lot of people who also speaks English.

If you need some assistance let me know i could recon some.

Thanks

15-Feb.-2017: You could manage without speaking French in upmarket places and in multinational company offices in Gabon but would need at least a basic knowledge of French to get by with tradespeople (taxi drivers, bakers, milkmen, maids, petty shopkeepers, etc.,). Hope this helps, Ms. Priscilla (Admin.).