Speaking Greek in Cyprus

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Greek is essential for a successful integration in Cyprus. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Greek? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Cyprus?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Cypriots?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

As newcomers to Cyprus, we have started trying to learn Greek but I think it will be years before we will be able to converse naturally. However, every little helps and we have found that demonstrating a will to try goes a long way in developing relationships and everyone tries to help.

I understand more than I speak, but I am learning the language. It is not 'essential' to life here, as many Cypriots are wanting to learn English, but in certain circumstances, my Pizzeria business for instance, a number of customer do not speak any English, so Greek is necessary. Also, when you visit remote parts of the island, the mountain villages for example, it helps if you have at least a small understanding of the language.
I do know people who have lived here in Cyprus for many years, and barely know the way of saying good morning or hello ....... that is actually quite sad, and, in my opinion, lazy.
I have lived here for 11 years, I am coming to terms with the language. I may never speak it fluently, but I am learning enough for daily use.

A former British colony, Cyprus is a well educated, well traveled and fairly modern European nation. I have lived on the island for nearly a decade. I have been working on this beautiful island for nearly that long, as well. I work in radio and television, and prior to that, I taught at the university. In all of my professional experience, I worked completely in English. When I go to the market, or to the salon, or to the cafes, again, I speak in English and have no problem whatsoever getting around. As I mentioned, it is a well educated island, and Cypriots value learning English and teaching it to their children. So you'll have no problem getting around.

On the other side of the island, Turkish is mostly spoken. There, the population is less educated, and the workers are primarily from Turkey. Therefore, speaking only in English is still do-able, but not as easy. Either way, the island is beautiful; the people are friendly, and I find if you smile, then that is the most important language you will ever need to know.

I've been visiting Cyprus even though I have 0 knowledge about the Greek language but I found myself communicating easily with everybody there it was not a problem tough