Speaking English or French in Canada

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking English or French is essential for a successful integration in Canada. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak English or French? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Canada?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Canadians?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Bilingual is greatly appreciated here. However with the current rate of new comers getting high in Toronto,( especially GTA) English is more essential... unless the new comer decided to settle in Quebec area.  :cheers:

In Quebec, to adapt and find a good job in your field, it is recommended to speak French. If you are a teacher or any professional with a field in Education,  the writing skills are equally important. Now, English is essential on the other provinces although bilingualism is very common.  So to sum up, do research on your preferred province, make sure you have some functional level of the spoken language. You need to speak it if you want to succeed...,any professionals end up doing other types of jobs because of their lack of English or French.

it is very important. We are lucky as for Mauritians we have a bigger advantage knowing both languages. This is definitely a plus in the job market and we should keep encouraging both French and English in the community

It is definitely essential to speak official languages in Canada. I'm in Edmonton, where most people use English as in most parts of Canada. Came here with an intermediate level and know I have to improve it and make it fluid.

My job is not helping much since I'm a software developer and there is no need of much speaking at the office; although I do talk a little with other colleagues who have different accents. There are people here from Southafrica and England. Even among Canadians I find different accents and I understand some people better than others.

My wife and I are going to conversation circles in Edmonton Public Library. She is also studying English at a University here. As for me I will start some part-time course for workers, to improve my language.

Honestly,
They say that Canada is a bilingual country. Well well and well... communication is a master key that can open all doors... after opening doors, you should have the abilities to walk, run, jump and fly if necessary!

I was  born speaking creole and French and in Canada I learned English and Spanish... 

Here you have no choice but speaking  French or English.

You speak French, your life will be sort of ok.
You speak English, it is  better .
Tou speak both, it is a wow!

I don't know what to say...,
My integration was like an understatement because I felt like home the day I stepped in.

People are great here but remember, there are racism everywhere, expect to get hurt sometime, the same way the canadian government is mistreating the First Nation here, if you don't follow certain steps, you will be  part of the less fortunate.

Your only way out is, don't start spreading kids all over without a good education, save well, work hard and you can have a good life here.

If you have bad intention, please stay away!
If you are a legit person,  welcome.

Good luck!

I speak both English and French. I originate from Cameroon and we have two official languages which are English and French. This enables many of us Cameroonians to work in many countries. It really feels good to be able to understand and speak both languages and I am currently tring to learn German too.  ;)

Yes i do speak and understand english and interested to relocate to canada

I speak both English and French...im from an English speaking country and I happen to do my university studied in French.so language won't be a problem for me.im not yet in Canada but I'm seriously considering to relocate.

Yes, I do Speak English fluently since this is the medium of instruction here in our Country, the Philippines.
xxx
Thanks.

Liezel

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Off-Topic. Please drop an advert in the jobs section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I speak English and French and i search a job in Canada can u help me if u want to get a job