South Africans in Jeddah

Hallo Almal,

Ek is nuut hier. Ek weet daar is baie van ons hier, maar waar die doner is julle??

Ek het een Kaapenaar tenminste gekry...yipeeee!
Ek soek nog van julle.

Maak contak asb.
Hierdie plek is iets anders - en ons het mekaar hier nodig!

stuur my 'n e-pos hier en/of skryf op hierdie vlak.

Groete,
Jay.

Hi Jay,

could you please post in English ? Thanks

Hello Julien and everyone else.
I was about to send thru a post after this one in english, but somehow lost the connection to the internet.  Thanks for the reminder :)

Anyway - here it goes:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Everyone,

I am a new South African to Jeddah.  I know there's a lot of South Africans out here - but where are you all hiding???

I've met 1 fellow-Capetonian thus far - I am looking the rest of you :)
The ex-pat support network out here is so vitally important in order to survive the initial culture shock.

This is a brilliant forum platform to communicate on (thanks Julien), so please make contact via this forum and/or via the e-mail provided herein.

Best Regards,
Jay.

Hi Jay !

I am a fellow South African! I am from Durban and if all goes well we will be in Jeddah in a couple months . It is all kinda exciting but also quite daunting ! I hope to find out more from you all what compounds are in Jeddah . How are you all adjusting ??

Hope to hear from you all soon !

Regards

Tania

Welcome Tania!

Yeah, its a daunting place all-right.
There are some compounds available - best place to start is to pick up a copy of the magazine Destination Jeddah.
There's loads of contact numbers and information therein.

I've been looking to buy a GHD for my wife - can you believe they've never heard of this out here???!!

Questions to all South African's:
--
Which part of Jeddah are you at? Is your family with you as well?
How did you find the airport officials and finally stepping out into the streets of Jeddah?
How did you find the rain and floods?
Are you ready for the summer to come??
--
To answer for myself:
I am staying in the Al Hamra district - close to the Corniche in a furnished apartment - not too lekker but do-able for now, until my family arives.
Coming out of the airport was a real eye-opener - especially for someone who looks like an Indian but from South Africa...
Well, at least the Indians here empathize with me and at least I get some human respect from them...
The floods were terrible - I had to cancel my meetings on one day due to the water being waist-high!
Now the mosquito's attack like crazy as the breed within the standing stagnant water puddles.
The summer is not gonna be pleasant - we're looking at 52 degree highs with 100% humidity!

Best of Luck to you all!

PS: If you looking for a good resturant on the Corniche - try Cafe Aroma next to the Intercontinental Hotel - very good food and affordable prices!

Cheers!
Jay.

Hi Jay,

I will be in Jeddah as from next week. We will make a plan to go and do something.

Leonard

Cool man.  I have met up with a few South Africans already.
Give me a call on 055 701 0977 when you're in town.
We all could do a Springbokkie Coffee session at Cafe Aroma on Corniche :)

Cheers,
Jay.

jaynoah wrote:

Cool man.  I have met up with a few South Africans already.
Give me a call on 055 701 0977 when you're in town.
We all could do a Springbokkie Coffee session at Cafe Aroma on Corniche :)

Cheers,
Jay.

I sent you sms, for meeting in Costa Cafe, I am Wael Jeddah.

Hi!
Only done with work now - got back from Rabigh today - not a very pleasant trip into the desert - but Rabigh has its elements of indulgence :)

Received your SMS - Will call you later today - in like 30 mins from now :)

confirm me about going out today, within 45 minutes to make my plans for today,
awaiting you either on sms or herein,

Jay

ek is 5 maande hier en hou skool.  ek is 53 en ook van die kaap se kant.  vertel wat jy doen

alida

@Alida Smit -> Can you please write in english on this English speaking forum? :)

PS: To note that this thread is dated 2011.

Thank you,
Aurélie

sorry, i was just replying on jay's message in afrikaans...

Hallo all

Its very simple. I am a working/studying single 28 year old female. I have lived in Jeddah for 1 and a half years now. Strangely I have many local friends but no expat friends and I wanted to get in touch with fellow South Africans or other nationalities for that matter. I am very social which is hard here sometimes, so I find it somewhat important that we find each other.

I've been working in JED on and off the last 10 years.. It's tough on expats, the compound life makes it easier, but still a challenge. I pity the ladies here, travelling alone is not allowed, travelling without a husband or family member is not allowed, eish!!
Being a man is easier but no guarantee that it'sa party.
I sometimes stay downtown too, and take a walk from time to time, especially now that its the cool months.

I haven't met any expats yet aside from my colleagues, many of whom are fom asia. Every now and then it's nice to hear a Saffer accent. :)

Good morning all
Have been in Jeddah for nearly a year now. My husband has been here for 2.
We are from Port Elizabeth
There are a good number of South Africans on our compound, and my son has a few Afrikaans friends.
We went to the South African Braai day last year held by the Embassy and it was amazing to see all the South Africans having a lekker braai.

Welcome to jeddah and I sympathize with you. Just letting you know that  there is a gathering happening on the. 25 th of this month for all south Africans.

DerekH wrote:

I pity the ladies here, travelling alone is not allowed, travelling without a husband or family member is not allowed, eish!!

Haha! A Red Riding Hood style fairy-tales for naive women...
Jeddah is much safer for females and males to travel alone than any South African or European city.
The only true is that the females not allowed to drive in Saudi.

Hi All. If this thread is for South Africans then what's the problem with writing in Afrikaans?

@ Nathan
Is it arranged by the South African Embassy again Nathan
We would love to go

msedries wrote:

Hi All. If this thread is for South Africans then what's the problem with writing in Afrikaans?

Hello.

As you are on an English speaking forum, it is better to communicate in english so that other members could understand and participate. To read the Saudi Arabia forum code of conduct <LANGUAGE section>. :)

[Sorry for the off topic]

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Yolande, I am not sure but I think it is the same vibe as last year and is happening at the same compound.

Thank you Nathan. We did not go to that last year. We attended the Bring and Braai at some Price's private residence end last year...think it was in November.

Which Witch wrote:
DerekH wrote:

I pity the ladies here, travelling alone is not allowed, travelling without a husband or family member is not allowed, eish!!

Jeddah is much safer for females and males to travel alone than any South African or European city.

You're wrong.. very wrong.
I have several female colleagues that have been physically assaulted on the streets of Jeddah on multiple occasions, to the point that the company moved them to a different compound due to the gangs of young men waiting outside to attack them.
I guess next you'll be telling me there's no alcohol, homosexuals or AIDS here either? What compound are you in? Never-never land?

See? I can also be petulant about something quite serious..

hi any one not arab and not indian also in jeddah want to friend me .. i am egyptian pharmacist living in jeddah and i want to practice my english and i can learn arabic also if needed ..my mail [email protected][/b][/i]

Daar is darem 3 van ons wat werk by Ma'aden Gold hier in Jeddah.
Twee van ons bly in Al Hajarayn Compound net agter die "Red Sea Mall"
Groete,

Herman Grobler
[email protected]

Hi Herman !

Could you keep it in English please?

Thanks
Armand

DerekH,
Well I am sorry you are totally wrong in South Africa life is better than Saudi regarding safety and security issues ???? Regarding the harassment or as you said people are waiting on the gates to attack on you can you stop it please,
I am in jeddah and visit the entire kingdom like Riyadh, Al khobar, Dahran, Dammam, Najran, Skaka, Tabuk, Khamis, From East to west and south to north everywhere in all major cities even in small towns nothing happend with me Saudi is the most safest place and if you don't like it please leave the country but never pass the fake remarks or comments understand.
I think its a very clear shup up call for you. Don't pass the fake statements and its not an adventure you are creating a problem  for  S.African peoples who are in Saudi.

I would have to agree with kieth on that. This place is much safer than my country and I know this because my phone hasn't been stolen....touch wood.... But don't get me wrong, there is still crime here, especially sexual crime against the ones that are considered weak.

DerekH wrote:
Which Witch wrote:
DerekH wrote:

You're wrong.. very wrong.
I have several female colleagues that have been physically assaulted on the streets of Jeddah on multiple occasions, to the point that the company moved them to a different compound due to the gangs of young men waiting outside to attack them.
I guess next you'll be telling me there's no alcohol, homosexuals or AIDS here either? What compound are you in? Never-never land?

See? I can also be petulant about something quite serious..

Yes, there are if you specially look for.
However much less and not so openly in public like in Johannesburg or London - no drunks in streets or gay parades at least.
I live in Andalus Village and travel alone everywhere from North Obhur to Al Balad.
Chatting with and getting compliments from those shabbabs hanging around malls - this is common in every country and I don't assume this as attacking or harassment.

DerekH wrote:

Save it mate!. Our women are like queens mate! And queens don't travel alone. I'm a British Muslim, I'm happy to take my Queen mother where, when, how, till she wants!!
Different don't always mean negative!

Hi Deon,

With the information supplied, it is difficult to answer.
Not sure whether you worked in the Middle East before?
There are many compounds in Jeddah and it dpends on where your office will be on which Compound will most suitable between the office and easy exit to Khubar and Riyadh.
you can find out more about the compounds ona blog: Jeddah Compounds [there are 53 compounds on this blog, with contact numbers, locations, etc.

Jeddah is a wonderful city and most areas are great to stay.
It is winter now, only 30 degres, but summer is coming and it is then very hot here.

You must set aside a few days to get your Saudi lisence and if you do not have a company car, to buy a car [petrol is a whole R 1.20 per litre here!!]

I am not sure whether you already have your work permit/residence permit [Iqama], if not set asisde a few days for this process.

Hope you enjoy your stay here..

Regards,

Harry

hey my name is lewin and im south African
ek is hee al oor a jaar ma weiti wa almal is ni, help asblief
my epos is [email protected]

Hello lewinmayhew -> Could you please post in english on this English Speaking forum? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

hey im new here in Saudi, looking for fellow South Africans to meet with. I been here just over a year and seem to find it hard to find you all.

if you out there email me. [email protected]

Thankx....

Hey fellow South African, I am here for 12 years now. Did you know we have a community of about 4000 South Africans in Saudi Arabia and this number is growing. Anyways if ever you want to meet up in the Eastern Region, I'd be intereseted in having a South African get together

How good to read Afrikaans. Although I must admit I read Die Burger online every day. I also have OSN so I can watch the rugby from back home.
I am in Khobar and have only met up with 1 South African who I knew from home. Have to dat after 3 months not bumped into any other Saffas. And I regularly wear my WP, Stormers, Bokke and even my club rugby jerseys.
Also looking Indian, it is tough for me here. People cant understand why I cannot speak any Hindi or Arabic language.
I tell them only Afrikaans and English. They think I am being funny and unnecessarily difficult.
Would be great to hook up with other South Africans in Khobar.
En om lekker Afrikaans te praat

Lerfaan....you are not meeting any other South Africans because of that Stormers jersey.
Try a Blue Bulls one and you will see all the Saffers crawling out the woodwork.......lol

Bulle my tweede span Yolande

Good to know. I have nothing against the Stormers, it is just that Puke Watson was a stormer. I am from PE and now he is messing up the poor Kings, and they are trying so hard. They did very well this year, except for Mr Puke.

We also have OSN and love watching the rugby. Going home in June for the summer and so looking forward to a nice rasher on the braai...you get my drift...lol