Hungarian citizenship oath and ceremony

Has anyone gone through the Hungarian simplified naturalization oath-taking ceremony (outside Hungary) since they tightened up the language requirement?

Do you do it individually when you're approved or do they make you wait until whenever they offer it to everyone and do it in a group? Do they run the ceremony in Hungarian and expect you to understand everything in Hungarian (like they do when you submit the application) or do they help you in English (or whatever the local language is)?

I'm trying to figure out how good does your Hungarian have to be to manage the citizenship oath procedure?

I dont think you going to obtain citizenship hardly if at all unless you make use of the "buy €300 000 government bonds" option for citizenship which is closing sometime in March...

Jennifer_BudaVar1014 wrote:

I dont think you going to obtain citizenship hardly if at all unless you make use of the "buy €300 000 government bonds" option for citizenship which is closing sometime in March...

:/

The OP is talking about simplified naturalization, which is different from the bond program, and is exclusively for people of Hungarian heritage. If the OP qualifies for simplified naturalization, the OP can of course become a Hungarian citizen.

I honestly do not know much about the oath taking in Hungary but there are many older posts on that subject on this site.
I asked my husband only because he took the oath in the US, he is HU as well.
He said at least in the US they wait until they have many people taking the oath all at once.
Might be the same here in HU.
Also if I had 300,000 Euros extra just hanging around in my bank account, I sort of doubt I would be investing it for 5 years in a bond, just me though.

Just to be clear, the €300 000 bond program offers residency, not citizenship.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I have seen discussions on the site about the oath taking, but the ones I've found are all from years ago when the process was a lot easier on the language requirement, so I'm not sure how relevant they are to today. Interesting that they apparently wait for a group to do it together in some countries, that's helpful. Thanks everyone. And thanks in advance for any further info, i appreciate whatever info anyone can provide.

Oath is 100% in Hungarian, there's not a word spoken in English. Taking the oath is easy, takes under a minute. It's quite an exciting day.

You have to remember that others can be taking the oath that may not know Hungarian. Spouses of a Hungarian citizen for example may not know the language but qualify for citizenship.

It's typically taken in a group, not when you're approved. You'll get a reply when you're application is accepted to show up at a specific date and take the oath as part of a group at the embassy/consulate you applied it.

I'd concentrate more on the interview, for that you will need to know the language.

jesperss wrote:

Spouses of a Hungarian citizen for example may not know the language but qualify for citizenship.

Only if the spouse has lived in Hungary 3 years, and only if the spouse passes the examination in basic constitutional studies (which is suppose to be in Hungarian). The only practical exception from the language requirement is if the spouse is over age 60.

Above info from the Hungarian Government web site on naturalization.

I think anyone who tries to become a citizen of any country should know the constitutional laws and social customs as well.
My husband seriously studied before taking his oath to be a US citizen back in 1978.
He learned more then most 8th grade US gov. students do in the US. Well , really don't know if that is true any longer, studies seem to not be as hard in the US these days.
Not even sure if kids are required to even learn about the US constitution any longer. No  more remembering the preamble to the Gettysburg Address and having to recite it nervously in front of your peers. No more tests on how many member in the house of reps etc.
Most people can not even balance their bank accounts these days, let alone understand gov.
Off topic, sorry.
I am over 60, married to a HU citizen for a lifetime and lived in HU more then 3 years, guess if I got busy and studied I could pass the citizenship exam. Not sure I need to do that however, not just yet, let's see if Trump does anything good in the US before I jump ship.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I think anyone who tries to become a citizen of any country should know the constitutional laws and social customs as well.

Agree.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I am over 60, married to a HU citizen for a lifetime and lived in HU more then 3 years, guess if I got busy and studied I could pass the citizenship exam.

If you are over 60 you can apply to be except from the exam.  :)

Of course, as you said above, every citizen, even naturalized citizens, should know the laws and customs of their (new) country. But you may not *be required* to do so (in as I read the current law description).

I may of forgotten in the past 50 years since my 8th grad gov. class, maybe it was the preamble to the constitution  that we had to recite, by heart, no smart phone or side notes.( although a few kids tried writing notes on their arms...)
Had to  know the entire Gettysburg address by heart and recite that too.
Some much info that in the long run I never needed to know but at least it gave the brain a workout.
( could use a good brain workout these days)
In any case it was to teach people a bit of their own history and to learn to respect those who came before you. A long lost character trait these days...
Customs, not knowing the customs in a new country can get one in more heat then anything else.
Respect the locals and they will do just about anything to help you out. Think that is one of the major things going wrong with the world these days, no one respects anyone's culture and everyone wants something for nothing.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

the preamble to the constitution  that we had to recite, by heart

A bit off topic, but.....

After Schoolhouse Rock put it to song, and aired it all the time when I was a kid, I can still recite the preamble to the US Constitution. Of course, it is also forever stuck in my head as a song. Can only remember the darn thing if I "sing it". :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_NzZvdsbWI

How does every single topic on this forum degrade into "this is off topic"  type posts and ramblings by Marilyn and kisallee that end up having nothing to do with the question asked?

jesperss wrote:

How does every single topic on this forum degrade into "this is off topic"  type posts and ramblings by Marilyn and kisallee that end up having nothing to do with the question asked?

It happens.  There's the Absolutely Anything Else topic for all the off topic stuff.   

There's a problem with the way this web site works. 

There's no way (I know of) to transfer posts to another topic. 

Been discussed a few times.

Rambling on here...
Suppose when people such as Jesperss ( afraid to use actual names?) physically moves to Hungary, they may be a semi- ex-pat.
In the mean time, will try to keep "on topic" but no promises...

fluffy2560 wrote:

There's the Absolutely Anything Else topic for all the off topic stuff.

Available via this easy access quick link which everyone should bookmark. :)

fluffy2560 wrote:

There's no way (I know of) to transfer posts to another topic.

But you can move replies there easily. Such as:

jesperss wrote:

How does...

Reply moved to: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 14#3578755

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Rambling on here...
Suppose when people such as Jesperss ( afraid to use actual names?) physically moves to Hungary, they may be a semi- ex-pat.
In the mean time, will try to keep "on topic" but no promises...

In the words of great Led Zeppelin, Ramble On

klsallee wrote:
jesperss wrote:

How does...

Reply moved to: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 14#3578755

Wish there was a  more automated thread transfer feature though without manually sticking in another link.

Thanks, that's very helpful. Jesperss, your specifics are especially useful, thank you. (Have you been through this process yourself? It sounds like you speak from experience.)

I have seen the Hungarian oath posted here in another thread. I've also seen people say that you need to memorize it (rather than read it). Does anyone know if that's true, that it needs to be memorized?

I'm also wondering about the process around taking the oath, because the info I've seen has confused me. I particularly want to find out if they tell you what to do in the local language at the consulate, or is it like the application process where every word has to be in Hungarian? I've seen posts say that the entire process is in Hungarian and it's a second-round test of Hungarian language ability, and if the person's Hungarian isn't good enough when they come to take the oath, they can lose their citizenship approval. That's a scary thought. But as Jesperss says, some people taking the oath probably don't speak Hungarian well enough to follow the instructions if they're given in Hungarian, so it doesn't make sense that they'd run the process in Hungarian. Does anyone know if the process (not the oath itself) have to be completely in Hungarian like the interview/application has to be?

It seems that things may have changed about the process for taking the (Hungarian language) oath when they tightened the language requirement. I'm wondering how rigorous the language requirement is in the process of taking the citizenship oath now, too.

Thanks very much for all your help!

The oath does not need to be memorized. They read 3-5 words and stop, you repeat, and so on. The oath, without breaks, would take less than 30 seconds to read. It's also taken in a group. I'd recommend memorizing it, not for fear of someone thinking your Hungarian "isn't good enough" and taking away your application, but rather just to ease the tension on oath day and give you self confidence. You'll enjoy the day a lot more if you do so.

After you take the oath they will call up those one by one.  You sign a piece of paper, shake someone's hand, and receive your naturalization certificate and address card. Then you're free to go after everyone else has been called. That's it. No forms to fill out. You can stay to apply for a passport as well if you wish.

To think that the oath would be some sort of secretive "second language test" is laughable. Once you've been invited to take the oath your application has been accepted. What's left are the formalities.

It's not like the US citizenship day where you have an interview in the morning and they invite you back in the afternoon to take an oath. Think of it as being that second half of the day and you've already done the first half when you submitted your application.

You have to remember that it's a "ceremony" - it's not a court proceeding. Becoming a citizen of another nation is special and the oath day reflects that. Families are there, Some tear up. The Hungarian ceremony is low key, yet classy, compared to the USA where they make you watch 30 minutes of pro-USA videos and takes a couple hours.

The oath ceremony is a day not to forget. Enjoy it and please don't stress over it!

(and igen, I've taken it)

Jesperss, that was perfect, thank you so much. That's exactly what I was wondering. I appreciate it! And your answer is very reassuring, which is even better. Thank you!

By closing do you mean ending?

missustoad wrote:

By closing do you mean ending?

Better to edit your post to use the Quote feature so it's clear which post you are referring to.

Hello Jesperss
Thankyou for an informative & positive series of messages.
I've lived here, with all required paperwork, for over 4 years now - married an Hungarian lady some 12 years ago - and would like to become properly 'official' over here, with Passport etc etc - want to try & do it alone, as a 'birthday present' for Her Indoors ..... is this Oath & Ceremony what I will be heading for ?
I'm struggling to find proactive information anywhere, and your posts have been the most informative so far, so you've picked the short straw for my request for help !!!
My first major difficulty, as i'm 2 hours from Budapest, is where exactly do i start the ball rolling - my local onkormanyzat?? - and what application form do i ask for, or can i download it somewhere ?
hope you can find time to help me - my mobile if you prefer ***.
Thanks in anticipation!!
Toby

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Hi Angolhapsi / Toby,

Our discussion is about "simplified naturalization" for people of Hungarian descent living outside Hungary. It sounds like you're talking about standard naturalization for residents of Hungary and/or spouses of Hungarian citizens, which is a different process. (I presume it would still lead to the same citizenship oath.)

The Hungarian government Immigration and Asylum Office handles naturalization. Their website page about naturalization, with instructions and links to the forms, is:

http://www.bmbah.hu/index.php?option=co … mp;lang=en

Their full contact info is:

E-mail: [email protected]
Telephone: (1) 463-9118
Addressee and mailing address:
Office of Immigration and Nationality
Nationality Directorate
1903 Budapest, PO Box 314/24.

That should provide the information you need to get started. Good luck!

And yes, jesperss is wonderfully informative and very generous with help.