Transferring money from U.S. to Brazil

When my wife and I retire in Brazil possibly in  a couple of years or so, we will both be receiving pensions and social security each month which are currently deposited automatically to our bank accounts in the u.S.

What are the pros and cons of continuing this and then, as we need money in Brazil, having our bank transfer such funds to a bank account is Brazil?

Is there anyone out there currently doing this?

I believe there are some who have checks sent by mail from the U.S. Social Security and/or the U.S. based pension provider to a Brazilian address, however, given that mail delivery in Brazil is inconsistent and unreliable, that option has me concerned.

Thanks for your input.

Hello,

I have a Business in USA and twice a year I go to Boston to Transfer money to my bank here in Belo Horizonte. The best bank to received a transfer from USA is Banco do Brasil,  the fees are much less than Itau or Bradesco that I did try.

I have a CITI credit card that I use a lot in Brazil and pay from money that I have in my account in USA, this is a good way to use the money you have there.

If you don't need all the money that you have in USA keep it there. I did it, in Brazil you never know what is going to happen tomorrow.

I am married to a Brazilian. We are both retired. She has an account at Banco Do Brazil which i am designated benificiary of. I get a pension and social security. Both are deposited in the US. I have no fee crdit cards and no fee debit cards. I use the credit card for purchase and the debit if I need to get money. Much easier for me.

Jim

jland912 - thanks for your input.

I have used my credit card and debit card while vacationing in Brazil.

Are there any issues or problems getting new cards from your U.S. bank when the card expire?

I'm assuming this is done by mail.

Thanks, in advance, for your reply.

I usually get my cards when I m there. I have a friend who also brings things back for me and vice versa. One time I had a card expire and had it sent to me.  It came by FEDEX I believe. It cost me R$58 I would not recommend regular mail. This discussion came up a few weeks ago and someone stated their bank would not send cards internationally. You may want to talk to your card providers in advance.

Jim

I currently have money deposited in an bank acoount in the states. I found it easier to use a credit union bank in the US and get a global debit/visa card which can be used everywhere to pay for bills or obtain money from atm machines. Also you can use that bank account to transfer money to your account in Brazil but need to find the cheapest bank for that transaction. It cost me $25 for each transfer.

I find that using cards versus a bank account works well for me. In four years I have yet to need to make a transfer of money. My wife has an account in Brazil. I periodically go to the ATM and withdraw money and she deposits it right bank into her account.

Jim