Driver's licence exchange in Canton de Vaud

Hi, my dilemma: soon I will have to do a "course de contrôle" which if I understand correctly is a driving test, and I have like 4 questions about it.

a. When can it be the best time to do the driving test, April? May? or even with snow, so February? March?

b. The test: Do the examiner asks some theorical questions or is it only about driving skills?

c. Do you recommend taking 2 or maybe more hours with a swiss driving instructor?

d. Also do you know, where can I get a book or a leaflet or something about the differences in driving in Switzerland? I don't know if there's something specific or really different from Switzerland than from other countries (Perhaps putting attention to the double or triple traffic lights or looking at the arrows (plus all the traffic signs) is not enough.

Thanks in advance, your help will be appreciated

Hi my answers will help.

1 you have got one year from time of entry to do the test.  Generally the road are ok to travel on.
2.  Do not know from what area you are.  But you have to be tested in the canton that you stay in. I stay in luzern.  Had to go to the verkehrsamp to get the for.  Maybe you would be able to print it. Fill in but all in german.  Take to nearest optomitrist for eye test.  It takes about 5 min and cost about 20frc. Take to your gemeindehause the sign and post it.  Still awaiting for my testing date.

3. In general all rules are the same.  All i know stick to speed limits.  At sircel give way from the right. 

4.  I did one lesson with a local driving school.  About 85frc a lesson.  I will do onother 2 or 3 before my test date.  Reason if you fail your swiss driving test.  You must do all over again including first aid course.

Hope this helps

Piet

Thank you Piet, I'm at the Canton of Vaud, so my documents are already in. I acknowledge that I have to do an appointment 4 weeks before the test.

About the rules, I know that there are some synonyms from french to swiss part so I don't know if it's important for me to know them (french is my third language, so I have to do a bigger effort).

I think the hours you told me, are indeed what I have to do, better to have some fresh things in mind.

Thank you for answering

Regards,  Lizbeth