Safe for traveling

There are crisis now in Egypt. I am not sure if the media tries to make things more serious than the reality. I booked everything already. Is it safe to travel in Egypt next week?

I guess you just have to wait and see, If thins calm down by next week..also it depends what part of egypt you are trying to travel to. if you are going to sharm or another red sea city..you would be fine no problems there..and y guess is even fine in Cairo for travel by next week.

Hi Eypicanmeraty,
I am so glad to hear from your words. People read too much news and TV channel tries to exaggerate things.... make me just confused and nervous.
I will go to Cairo, Loxor and Aswan.
Thanks for your reply.

I am a Caucasian male who works in Riyadh, and I have similar words: is travel safe? I am originally American and I know only a little Arabic, so I can't just blend in.  My plane ticket is to fly into Alexandria the 3rd of February and to leave from Cairo on the 12th.  I don't have a fixed itinerary, but I was probably to fit in Luxor.  Are "tourist" things affected by what's going on? Will I miss out on what Egypt has to offer if I fly to Alexandria on Thursday? I don't mind tension in the air, but I would probably be ticked off if I flew there thinking everything would likely be open and lots shut down!!

People who are on the ground in Egypt/who know exactly what is going on, please write in with feedback.

Many thanks in advance.

I suggest people without direct contacts in Egypt follow http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/  for the latest news they aren't SO bias as alot of the other news channels. Alot of flights have been cancelled indefinitely..So you will just have to see if flights are even running by the date of your travel. Some tourists are still out and about in parts of Cairo..like at thee citidel..ect but the Pyramids are closed as of now and the Cairo museum was broken into and damaged(as in cases broken into 2 mummies broken..ect the building is fine as of yet) So I dont think anyone will be visiting that anytime soon. It will take time to clean up the mess. Tourists are not being targeted so your not under "danger" because you are foreign but people are all being warned to stay indoors because there are some looters out at night..so keep watching like the rest of us goodluck..:)

Thank you for responding.  It appears that I won't be going.  Best of luck to everyone affected by the current events.

It's unsafe for foreigners to be in Egypt right now. I was also going on the 8th but I have changed my mind. It looks like the protests are going to last for more than a week.

hey guys, try to not go  to Egypt  for the moment if it s not for an emergency, a friend of mine was  going  to Luxor today from UK and the flight was canceled... it s not safe to be there .. Good luck

the media was not making it look worse, if anything the media only had access to some of the areas and coverage was very limited in scope and content.

I would not come unless you really need too.

Guys do not travel to here in any case . they only safe place is Sharm as long as you do not plan to goto Cairo. its a big mess here in Cairo.
Im stuck here in Cairo and can not move back to anywhere since the flight schedules are disturb..

All this period I was traveling inside Cairo, crossing Nile River every time, and even going from one part to another.
I was limited only by the curfew that didn t allow people after 4 or 3 pm to be in the street, so I had to hurry up in coming home.
I can t give an opinion that it s safe or less safe, but I consider media little exagerate with the problems that are in Egypt at this time.
Finally it depends on the adventurous feeling of each person, but I couldn t hear that someone, a foreigner I mean, had a problem here. Maybe with looters.
Also, you need cash money, cause even at this time banks and ATM don t work, maybe next week will be ok!
So, I wish to you a wonderful travel, and welcome to Egypt!

You can come and feel safe it's ok now