Dating scams

Expat.com doesn't allow dating on the open forums, and this is part of the reason.
Would you use a dating site?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38678089

The number of people defrauded in the UK by online dating scams reached a record high in 2016, the Victoria Derbyshire programme has learned.
According to the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau, there were 3,889 victims of so-called romance fraud last year, who handed over a record £39m.
Action Fraud, the UK's cyber-crime reporting centre, says it receives more than 350 reports of such scams a month.

Unfortunately, with the advent of social media, scams of every kind are becoming more prevalent.

If I read it correctly, the BBC-linked article tells of a woman who gave a total of 300,000 British pounds to a scammer she never met because she was emotionally vulnerable ..and thus supposedly vulnerable to his requests for money.

cccmedia

Fred wrote:

Expat.com doesn't allow dating on the open forums, and this is part of the reason.
Would you use a dating site?

Well, I'm one of the lucky ones.  I used dating site(s), and I met my wife on one.  We'll be celebrating 10 years of marriage this summer, so I'd say it has worked out well.

With that said, leading up to her....I came across my fair share of ladies looking for a magic green card and the chance to leave their home country, or looking for some cash, or both.  Fortunately, I always knew better and didn't become  a victim.

Yes, one can get scammed via online dating, but I'd say it's equally possible to be scammed by someone you meet in a nightclub or some other 'traditional' means.   Either way, you have to be smart about it.

I think the problem is not dating sites but people needing once and for all education

firetown wrote:

the problem is not dating sites but people needing once and for all education

Elaboration needed.

cccmedia

I just think that when someone sends 100s of 1000s of dollars to a guy she has never met, then the problem is not the dating site but people needing to learn not to trust anybody blindly. offline or online

firetown wrote:

I just think that when someone sends 100s of 1000s of dollars to a guy she has never met, then the problem is not the dating site but people needing to learn not to trust anybody blindly. offline or online

That's true.  However for many people, they can allow emotions to overrule logic.

Agreed, some women or men would let their emotions overrule logic. Can't really blame them especially when the other person is so good in making people fall.

Sweet talks, good looks, expertise. Takes a lot for someone not to take the bait. Guess, we all just have to be careful and at the same time, be happy for those who had lucks😀

cccmedia wrote:
firetown wrote:

Elaboration needed.

cccmedia

I don't know ikf it's a global prpblem, but we are always hearing stories in the UK, that someone recieved and Email and some Greeat Uncle has dies but left them a huge fortume . In order to recieve their inheritence they need to send money to unlock it, or pay taxes etc....

Educating people is needed, but how?

Can't really start teaching it in schools? So maybe adverts in newspapers or commercials on TV? But who would pay for them?

A good guide about avoiding dating scams is here from Readers Digest.

SimCityAT wrote:
cccmedia wrote:
firetown wrote:

Elaboration needed.

cccmedia

Educating people is needed, but how?

Can't really start teaching it in schools? So maybe adverts in newspapers or commercials on TV? But who would pay for them?

Cybersafety actually is being taught, in at least some schools as part of the technology curriculum.  This won't help those of age, but it's something.

Oh my word. There is nothing wrong with dating sites. They are although a microcosm of society. It is a place for people to meet and be discerning about those they meet. Just as they must be when they deal with an unknown mechanic, meeting someone at a library, work or whatever.
I have frequented many dating sites and found people of all types. Great people, bad people, it people, and those that were not sure if they were he's she's or it's. Fraudulent people, criminals. men who we're posing as ladies, ladies posing as men. And it all just adds to the experience. I have helped 3 ladies figure out they were being manipulated by people trying to get their money. I have two male friends who invited ladies over for dinner and wine and they slipped something into the drink that knocked them out for an entire day. Then they robbed them of everything. The ladies are doing time now in a Vietnamese prison. Met a ton of ladyboys. Ladies that had faces of a model, but lifted their legs and peed on the fire hydrant as they left they were so ugly. Take it all with a grain of salt. Enjoy yourself and be cautious. I always tell ladies to bring a friend the first few times until you get to know someone. Then be cautious for sometime to come. Guys never invite these gals to you house alone. Have a friend eat with you. Take turns going to the bathroom and one keep an eye on her. She they start asking you to send money to help their friend out and also send a copy of your passport go online to one of the many sites and trace their IP address and see if it is coming from where they are saying  they are located. All these people will come from Africa where there are no laws against such activity. But they will have legit looking web site usually of global shipping companies. And if in doubt PM me and I am pretty good at finding these frauds. Happy dating, and good luck.

are Dating sites the reason for scams?? its like .. Marriage is the reason for divorce ??
now like someone would say Ya ! its the people who are scammers..

Cheers to diazo his words are 100% accurate i know of it too

but what is the reason for scams becoz we have a motive to be there we are wanting to be with someone ..

someone asked me once if she should try dating site to find someone or in real go out and meet get introduced to some new ppl .. i say do go on dating site and meet ppl to but dont leave your brains out you want to find someone then find a friend first dating will come after... but we are human we think dating != (not equal) to friends going out, dating = someone special , shouldn't that be friend first ,
when i say friend means u know them to be REAL enough with no motives .

if you expect something and go scammers will take advantage of it ... and also ppl are hard (desperate  to get laid ) be it money or any thing that they can get off u ..

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR