Misleading information

This is a recent post by urelandy which was posted on a completely unrelated thread a few days back. This is what she says:-

"You MUST have permission from the Sri Lankan Ministry of Defence before traveling to the northern districts of Jaffna, Kilinochchi, Mannar, Vavuniya and Mullaittivu. You should not attempt to travel to these districts without first obtaining the required permission and exercise caution in line with Safety and Security - Local Travel. Should you not attempt to travel to these districts without first obtaining the required permission and exercise Caution in line with Safety and Security"

Not only is this misleading, outdated and a clear sign of her ignorance as to the ground situation in Sri Lanka's North but it can be misconstrued as downright scare-mongering. Since 19th May 2009 anyone who feels like travelling up north is free to do so without having to obtain prior approval. There is no curtailment in allowing either locals or foreigners into the former conflict zone being practiced by the government.

To the author of the original post that I have copied and posted on this new thread, I would like to remind you that this is a public site and whatever you post should be done so after verifying your facts. Irresponsible posts such as yours do nothing more than portray to other users of this site your ignorance and irresponsibility.

True, prior to the defeat of the terrorists travelling to the north by civillians was highly regulated. However the post conflict situation that prevails is the complete opposite. The traffic along the main A9 road to Jaffna has been so overwhelming that the authorities are now rapidly developing the A32 highway which grants access to the Jaffna peninsula via Pooneryn. Locals and foreigners alike are flocking. Literally. The former terrorist leader's house had till recently been a huge tourist attraction. None of these visitors were ever asked to obtain prior approval. Get your facts straight. Thank you.

Good on you for setting that record straight. I'm involved with assisting local agencies in  development assistance and resettlement initiatives. Though I only arrived recently, I was well briefed about post and in- conflict environments that existed throughout the country. The absence of such prohibitions and regulations as cited by urelandy is what's making the norther areas flourish. Very doubtful that the government of Sri Lanka would go back to such restrictions of movement considering the amount of infrastructure development work occuring there and the tangible dividends that peace has brought about.

Hello Journeyman,

Thanks for this clarification. In fact, I am searching for this user, and I cannot find it :/. Can I have the discussion link where he posted the misleading information.

Regards

Yud, I just sent you a PM. Hope that helps.

Journeyman has his facts right. There are no such restrictions in place as of right now nor have there been any since these areas were liberated. HSBC wouldnt have opened a full service branch out there if such restrictions were in place. I'm due to come out there in under a month and have thoroughly researched the current security situation. Suffice to say at this moment Sri Lanka's much safer than the middle east.