Living in Antsirabe

Hello expats.

My name is Thomas, I come from Denmark but I am now living in Antananarivo, Madagascar.
My wife and I are planning to move to Antsirabe very soon for professional and personal reasons.
We have visited Antsirabe one time on a short vacation, and we really enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of the city, compared to the crowded and polluted Antananarivo.

I am starting this thread in the hope of connecting with other expats living in Antsirabe, to share experiences and general information about life in this city.

I will start with some questions that I hope some of you guys out there can help me answer:

- Are there any English or International Schools currently operating in Antsirabe?

- What are the best hospitals in Antsirabe?

- What are the best maternity clinics?

- What supermarkets are available there?

- Where do YOU shop? Mainly at the supermarket, or do you buy your food at the tsena?

- What hobby activities can be pursued in Antsirabe?

- Do you know any good veterinarian in Antsirabe?

and finally

- What are some nice residential areas of Antsirabe?
Personally we like to live around all kinds of people, Malagasy and expats.

Those are my questions for now. If you guys know any answers, please feel free to post them here. I will also be posting my own answers as I learn more about the city.

Cheers!

Thomas Ottosen Jr.

After a little trip to Antsirabe last weekend, we did some scouting around and I will now share my thoughts with you guys.

From the cities that I have spent any serious amount of time in, Antsirabe is my favourite city in Madagascar. It has a nice, quiet sub urban feel to it. The city is peaceful, clean and organised, and there are not that many cars on the roads. I also feel like I don't get as much attention from people on the street for being a vazaha, as I do in Tana. It was a nice relief.

I will now try to answer some of those questions I posed in my initial post, to the best of my knowledge.

- There are a few International schools here. There is a French high school, an Alliance Francaise school and then a Malagasy-Norwegian school called the Cross Cultural Competence Center, situated in the buildings of the old Norwegian school, close to the grande avenue.

- There is one local branch of the hospital Espace Medical, which has a reputation in Antananarivo for being a quite decent hospital. They have no maternity clinic.

- The best maternity clinic that we heard of is called Ave Maria. We have heard from several people that this is quite a good place, though I would not know how it compares to vazaha standards. But supposedly it is the best place in town.

- The supermarkets we found here are Score, Shoprite and Supermaki.

- The local markets, known as Antsenakely and Tsena Sabotsy are quite dirty. Sabotsy is supposedly bigger than any market in Tana. I think I would mainly use Antsenakely, as it is smaller and less crowded.

These are some of my experiences in Antsirabe. I will be going back there next weekend for an NGO project, and I will share what ever else I find.

Have a nice weekend y'all

I am enjoying your post, it is very educational. thank you

In my 15 years in this country I have never had a in your face robbery, but when I was in Analakely a few months ago I was a victim to a Bump and grab of my phone out of my front pocket. I knew better but got lazy and was relaxed in the market and Mahajanga where I live is not so much a problem of street thefts----until recently. Also there is an upscale of night time home  robberies here in Mahajanga and Zebus being stolen.   

Which brings me to my point that I think--- it would be a good idea to talk with the President of the neighborhood to find out what security issues there are in the area that you are thinking of living in.   

I didn't do this when I moved to Mahajanga and my neighborhood Ambondrona but with the new insecurity throughout the island I would also put that on my list. I know you mentioned that you wanted to learn what is a good neighborhood but the president of the neighborhood has their finger on the pulse of the problems.

Hi! I will be moving to Madagascar in a few months, and the organisation I will be working with will be in  Antsirabe. Did you end up moving there? How do you like it? I am a young single expat and looking into where the best place to live will be and Antsirabe seems quite nice! Are there a lot of expats there / young expats in comparison to Tana?
Any info or insights you can share will be very greatly appreciated :) I am a complete newbie to Madagascar and searching for tips :D

Hi,
I am not abroad but I can give you some advice. Antsirabe is my city, I was born there. I am leaving in Sweden now.
Antsirabe is very nice and calm city! Time by time it's become one of the most wanted city to living by the Vazaha! They are a lot of small residence where you can live in peace! Example Mahafaly Tomboarivo, Ambalavato, Antsarasaotra,  those are not far from the city and clean not too much traffic and I can say save because a lot of Vazaha and Karana. Enjoy your stay