Retiring to the DR

Hola,
My wife and I and our 4 year are thinking about moving to the DR.
So, I would like suggestion on the safety place to live.
What do you think about Santo Domingo? Santiago? La Romana? Puerto Plata? somewhere else?
Some back ground to hopefully make it easier for other to answer my question
My wife is DR from Santiago. She has a teaching degree from there and 15 years experience.  I will be retiring with a meager income ( Mrs. wants to work). I speak little Spanish, while my wife now speaks above fair to good English. So, I am not sure I can work there , but would like to. Our son will be 7 yr old when we decide to relocate. We have kicked around Mexico, costa rica, Panama, Portugal and Spain. However distance  from her or my family would be  a small issue. We travel to DR  regularly and have friends there.  My wife and son are very important to me as she has made my life Heaven on Earth

Thank You
REH

If you have family and friends here why not look in that area to  live???

OH my bad...welcome to the forum

Bob K

Welcome to the forums, start reading and reading.....

Safe is less about where you live and more about how you live!!!

Thank You,
True and my wife could probably go back to the Catholic school where she taught. I however would like to find some part time work, but I am lazy and no muy poco  Spanish. Any ideas?

I thought I was addressing these separately .  True  safe depends on where you live. I am a little concern for my  son who will be 7. are there many cases of  child kid napping? My wife has family in El Dorado  and El Dorado 2. what do you about those areas?

No not a lot of kidnapping here.    And which city???

Santiago is where my wife is from

Welcome to the forum intriger13.

The El Dorado neighborhood is very nice (GPS: 19.463449, -70.659402). There are many gated condos with guard in the area that provide additional security. You'll also have access to top hospitals and quality grocery stores within two miles of that area.

If your wife returns to work for the catholic school your child may receive free or reduced tuition. Depending on the school she may even be considered to teach English to younger students.

My parents-in-law live in Santiago. They retired there after living in the US for decades.