Cell Phone Pandamonium

OK - different is the word.

The one, stunning fact is, you CAN NOT call all phones, no matter wgat you do, or buy.  It took me more than a coiuple tries to get that - it's just so.... FOREIGN.

Globe sems to be about the best.  Whe you find you can not call the restaurant downtown you have not been singled out - and when you fiond you can not call anoter cell - same thing.

Yiour minutes/plan (whatever) apply only to phones on your home provider.  You will have to pay about 7p/minute MORE to call land lines or celll phones on other networks.

So, don't go inbto a Globe place and ake an ass of yourtself like I did, ok?

TheDigitalMage wrote:

- it's just so.... FOREIGN.

Never! LOL

Mobile phone plans vary all over the world, some really weird looking for people from such as the UK where we're treated to a mass of government regulations that make everything even slightly unfair illegal and we can all call everyone from anything.

Think happy thoughts - It's probably a lot cheaper than your home country so live with it.

Perhaps the reason why you cannot call other phones was your plan promo did not allow for it. Which plan did you pick? Were you aware of the different promos?

The major cellphone carriers are Sun, Smart and Globe. There are generally two types of call plans in the Philippines: prepaid and postpaid. You can compare these to a debit and credit card.

Prepaid is like a debit card. You have to have money or "load" in the card to be able to use it. Postpaid is like a credit card. You can charge your purchases on it as much as you want, up to a certain limit, and then pay when the bill arrives.

There are many different promos for each type of plan. And not all promos are created equal.

Some postpaid plans allow you to have unlimited calls and text to the same carrier / network. Others allow for two or more networks or all networks. Others have limits to the length or calls or number of texts you make. Some have free access to facebook and other sites. Of course, the more bells and whistles, the more expensive the plan is.

My postpaid plan with Sun Cellular allows for unlimited calls and text to cellphones on Sun. It also allows for 250 free texts to other networks. After that I would be charged per text. I can call other networks and landlines but for an extra fee depending on the length of the call. I picked this promo because most of my relatives, workers and regular clients use Sun. My dad has one with a data plan because he likes to keep in touch with family in the states using Viber. My husband and I like keeping in touch with family in the states. So I added a broadband plan to my account so we both can use Viber.

Prepaid plans also vary. Some allow for calls only to the same network. Some for up to three networks. Some for text only to all networks. Some expire within a certain period (a day, 2 days, week, etc.).  Some have unlimited calls and / or text to one, some, or all networks. There are many promos out there, so pick one that bests suits your needs and budget.

The nice thing about cellphone calls here in the Philippines is you will not get charged for calls or texts which you didn't initiate. And you can still receive calls and texts even if you run out of load.

It is just showing that expatriation is not for everybody ! If you are easily nervous and stressed for a small detail, I would not advise you to live in the Philippines ! Your blood pressure will always be high 1 Yesterday I was talking to a French guy who wants to live in the Philippines but... he was upset because the flush in the toilets are often not working in the hotels, resorts and you have to bring your own tissue paper etc. This is a detail for the Filipinos as they use a bucket with water and they have always tissue paper with them... So I advised him either to leave quickly the country before discovering the joy of the hospital or to take a distance towards all these differences which are really minors ! To have a successful expatriation you need a positive mindset, if not... stay at home and avoid the unknown !

geolefrench wrote:

It is just showing that expatriation is not for everybody ! If you are easily nervous and stressed for a small detail, I would not advise you to live in the Philippines ! Your blood pressure will always be high 1 Yesterday I was talking to a French guy who wants to live in the Philippines but... he was upset because the flush in the toilets are often not working in the hotels, resorts and you have to bring your own tissue paper etc. This is a detail for the Filipinos as they use a bucket with water and they have always tissue paper with them... So I advised him either to leave quickly the country before discovering the joy of the hospital or to take a distance towards all these differences which are really minors ! To have a successful expatriation you need a positive mindset, if not... stay at home and avoid the unknown !

=====================

And perhaps being aware of  problem before it happens might help to keep me in that positive mind sert.  Yes?

And so that's what I am trying to do for others, here.  If I get the feeling others are not appreciative...

geolefrench wrote:

It is just showing that expatriation is not for everybody

or

People cock up from time to time, sometimes to the point they make twits out of themselves.
I don't know about the rest of the members here but I may have been guilty of that a couple of times so I can't judge our OP too severely.

I've stopped now ... mostly.