MEDICAL AID

We have been considering to move to Mauritius as retirees at the end of this year from Johannesburg, S.A.  I will be 64 and my wife 61, but now we seem to have run into an obstacle that we cannot overcome.  I was diagnosed with colon cancer last year in June.  Had a Sigmoid Colectomy in July and been on chemo since.  The moment that the medical insurance companies I have been talking to hear this, the conversation is over.  It seems we might perhaps get insurance, excluding any cancer related treatment.  In S.A. this treatment is very, very expensive, you will not survive without medical aid, which means if I cannot find any medical assistance for Mauritius, we can forget about plans to retire there.  Last resort:  Does anybody perhaps know of any institution or company we can approach?

Hi Johan

What information are you looking for exactly?

Health insurance companies in Mauritius? Or medical institutions?

Thank you for your reply. What I need to know about the system:  should I be able to arrange medical cover excluding cancer related claims, are there susidised healtcare institutions where I can try to be assisted with treatment?

Mauritius has both public (free) and private healthcare. However as an expat, you are not entitled to public healthcare.

And private healthcare can be expensive especially in the case of cancer treatment. You will definitely need a medical plan.

I would suggest you check with the different insurance companies providing health plans here in Mauritius. Each one has different cover premiums and you should be able to ,find one that suits your needs.