Martial Arts in Vietnam

Hello,

I am returning to Vietnam next week... I will be in Hanoi, Thanh Hoa Province (i.e. Nha Trang & Chap Tham)  and Ho Chi Minh City..
I am a martial artist that has studied, trained, mastered and taught martial arts from China, Japan and Korea.. Currently ranked 8th Dan Internationally...  My question is, I would like to visit martial arts studios in the relative cities... and exchange knowledge... My expertise is in Hapkido, Moo Duk Kwan Soo Bak Do, Kuk Dan Hoshinsul, Kajukenpo, Judo and Kuntao Silat... Any referals is appriciated... and I am particularly interested in the Vovinam arts of Vietnam....

Kamsa Hamnida

Senseiande

Hi guy,

In HCMC, there's a martial art studio named Lien Phong owned and run by Johnny Tri Nguyen, a kung-fu master and a former Hollywood stunt man. I've heard that there they play mixed martial arts including Jujitsu (https://www.facebook.com/lienphong/). In case you like Chinese martial arts you could take a trip to District 5 known as China town of HCMC, there's a lot of kung-fu studio there including Shao Lin and Qi Gong. We also have a world champion of Muay Thai named Nguyen Tran Duy Nhat (https://vi-vn.facebook.com/Nguy%E1%BB%8 … 060489346/) and he also has a studio for training, if you're interested you could put this into consideration.

Thanks you for the reference.... and I will try to visit while there...
My main expertise is in Hapkido and Moo Duk Kwan.. and I already know there is a following of these in Hanoi...Just never been to Saigon...so we'll see...

Kamsa Hamnida

Sabu nim  Vargas

senseiande wrote:

Hello,

I am returning to Vietnam next week... I will be in Hanoi, Thanh Hoa Province (i.e. Nha Trang & Chap Tham)  and Ho Chi Minh City..
I am a martial artist that has studied, trained, mastered and taught martial arts from China, Japan and Korea.. Currently ranked 8th Dan Internationally...  My question is, I would like to visit martial arts studios in the relative cities... and exchange knowledge... My expertise is in Hapkido, Moo Duk Kwan Soo Bak Do, Kuk Dan Hoshinsul, Kajukenpo, Judo and Kuntao Silat... Any referals is appriciated... and I am particularly interested in the Vovinam arts of Vietnam....

Kamsa Hamnida

Senseiande

You must know Lee Kidong then...does he still have the club in Sacramento?

Yes I do know Lee and last I heard he turned his studio over to one of the senior instructors. But don't know now.  I also knew Master Moon, Master Choi and Master Byong Yu among others.  However, I retired and moved from Sacramento 10 years ago and before that had 3 studios of my own in Sac for 15 years.. I too gave my share of the studios to my partners... I was a student of and staff instructor for Grandmaster Kang Myung Kyu for many years before that.  and my martial roots go back to 1969 and the San Francisco Bay Area.. My teachers there were, Sifu Hung Loy, Grandmaster Sal Aguleria, Sifu Richard Lee and Master Charles Gaylord..

Upon further reflection I realized we are talking about 2 different Master Lee's.
I have met Lee Kidong several times, a long time ago and have been to his studio in Elk Grove. However, only knew him briefly... I was speaking of Master Lee of Roseville, Ca... who it is my understanding has hence retired from active teaching... but that too could have changed as I have been out of the Sacramento loop or martial arts for many years now... and after Master Kang death in 2012 now have much less interaction

My husband is training in Saigon sport club. They have martial arts over there - The biggest and the best club in saigon so far

Vovinam schools are everywhere in VN, just look out for the signs.

In Nha Trang:
For judo contact anh Phu Instructor on 090 358 9649. He speaks passable English and good Korean. Training daily at 7pm in the large sports complex opposite the Khanh Hoa province general hospital (Bệnh viện đa khoa Khánh Hoà). Walk to the far end of the entrance road, turn right, and the dojo is on the left a little way in.  There are two classes: a 'fun' class downstairs for school kids, and a 'serious' class upstairs for the competition team. Phu Instructor is assisted by Mr Kim, 6th dan from Korea. He also has a dan in kendo.

For aikido contact anh An Instructor on 091 449 3579. Speak slowly, as he may have trouble understanding English. Training Mon-Sat at 7pm at Thong Duc Thang University. Go to the gate at the top of the hill on Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street and say, "Aikido" to the gatekeeper, who will point you around the back to the dojo. An Instructor is 3rd dan aikido and 4th dan karate.

Thank You

Check training times with anh Phu, training may be at 7.30pm instead of 7pm.

It is Mr Kim who has a dan in kendo, not Phu.