MVV VISA

Hi all,

I'm South African And my bf is Dutch and we are busy with the process of me moving to him, we almost have all the documents but i need a letter to prove that i am not married. I got an sms proving i'm not married from our home affairs but i wanted a legal document but they said i only get either a sms or a letter saying i'm not married. Now my question is will this letter be sufficient if i get it legalized?
Thank you for taking the time to read :)

Hi Zenolia,

An SMS message will not be accepted by any Government authority as a legally recognised document.  The document you are looking for is called a "certificate of no impediment"; they are issued by the the South African Department of Home Affairs; this link will take you to their website, where they call it a "Letter of confirmation of marital status"; according to the website, they charge R50 for this service.

Hope this helps. :)

Thank you very much. Would you by any chance know if the letter would still need to be legalized once i received it?

Yes. All documentation must be legalised.

Zenolia wrote:

Thank you very much. Would you by any chance know if the letter would still need to be legalized once i received it?

I can't be specific, but in general, documents issued and bearing a signature on behalf of that Government, that are required by another Government, may need to be "Apostilled" (this is the term for it) by the issuing Government

The background to this is that it was brought about by the Hague Convention of 1961 (The Apostille Convention); this enables documents issued by one Government, to be accepted as valid by another Government, providing an Apostille was attached to the original when presented.  South Africa joined the convention in 1995.  This link will take you to the Wikki page that explains it.

Thanks a mil :top: